This spicy chickpea salad comes together in only 15 minutes and requires almost no effort. Canned chickpeas, parsley, red onions, cucumbers, and red bell pepper for color become friends with a quick creamy, lemony dressing that is delicious and easy to make.
Chickpeas and why I love them:
I love chickpeas! They are so versatile and easy to work with!
I have various recipes on the website that I often make, no matter the season. This Chickpeas Salad with Feta and Mint is great for the summer, while Chickpeas with Green Beans and Pork is a Spanish recipe you can make during the cold season.
Chickpeas (or Garbanzos) are packed with protein and are very good for you. They are the main ingredient in hummus and are used in soups, salads, dips, or stews.
An important staple in the Indian, Mediterranean, and Middle Eastern Cuisine, chickpeas are also made into flour.
What makes this salad a winner:
- Flavors and textures– This salad has it all, fresh vegetables, chickpeas, herbs, and a delicious dressing that you can make spicy or not.
- It is healthy- There is not much to say about this one. Fresh vegetables are good for you, as well the legumes, because they provide a good amount of protein that could replace the meat. This salad will keep you satisfied without the need to raid the refrigerator an hour later.
- Chickpeas– We are using cans of chickpeas here because we want this salad really fast on the table. I personally like the organic cans of chickpeas, but you can use whatever you can find at the grocery store.
- The spices in the dressing– These spices will make the chickpeas go from blah to yum! The dressing is effortless to make, but the power comes from the ingredients we use. Stay with me, and you will see! This is one of my favorite dressings to make.
If you have chickpea haters in your family, make them this salad, and I bet they will love it.
How to make the Spicy Chickpea Salad:
Step 1. Place the ingredients for the salad in a salad bowl.
Place the chickpeas, diced onions, red pepper, cucumber, and chopped parsley in a large salad bowl. Set aside.
Step 2. Make the dressing:
Combine the olive oil, lemon zest and juice, crushed garlic, mustard, and red pepper flakes in a small jar. Place the lid on the jar and shake well until smooth; season with salt and pepper.
Of course, if you have no jar around, just grab a small bowl and whisk all the ingredients together. I prefer the jar, but you can definitely make this dressing the classic way.
Step 3. Combine the dressing with the rest of the ingredients from the bowl.
Pour the dressing over the salad in the bowl and stir to coat. Sprinkle the salad with crumbled feta cheese and serve.
I don’t have parsley. What else can I use?
You can replace parsley with cilantro. If cilantro is not your thing, try arugula or even baby spinach. A few mint leaves bring a lot of flavors also.
Serve this salad with a chunk of good bread and enjoy! Seriously, only 15 minutes, and you have a wonderful salad to share with your family! How cool is that?
Make a meal with it- Add a side of:
- Fried fish– Like my grandma used to make. It is an easy recipe that you will fall in love with because of its simplicity.
- No Breaded Fried Chicken- this is a good recipe if you are looking to eat fewer carbs. The chicken is moist and delicious and perfect next to not only this salad but to any salad you like.
- Romanian Meatballs or Chicken Schnitzel French Style
- Add grilled or broiled salmon or shrimp.
- Serve it next to a burger.
Basically, any protein will be great with this salad. It is also an excellent salad to take with you for a picnic in the park or to the beach.
Some other recipes to love:
- 2 (15-ounce) cans chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 small red onion, diced or 3-4 green onions
- 1 medium red bell pepper chopped
- 1 medium cucumber, peeled and sliced thin
- 1 cup parsley leaves roughly chopped(or cilantro)
- 2 large garlic cloves, grated or minced
- ½ teaspoon red-pepper flakes
- 1 1/2 medium lemon, zested and juiced
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard or regular mustard
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- Kosher salt and black pepper
- In a large salad bowl, place the chickpeas, diced onions, red pepper, cucumber, and chopped parsley. Season with salt and pepper. Set aside.
- Make the dressing:
- In a small jar, combine the lemon zest and juice, mustard, olive oil, crushed garlic, and red pepper flakes. Place the lid on the jar and shake well until smooth; season with salt and pepper.
- Combine the dressing with the salad:
- Pour the dressing over the salad in the bowl and stir to coat.
- Serve right away.
You can make this salad using cilantro instead of parsley. A few chopped mint leaves are a good addition.
The salad can be served with fish, shrimp, or chicken.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 264Total Fat: 14gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 10gCholesterol: 6mgSodium: 506mgCarbohydrates: 29gFiber: 8gSugar: 7gProtein: 9g