This is a great easy creamy spinach recipe to add to your collection of healthy side dishes recipes. Also, it is good for children, perfect with chicken, lamb or any other meat you like. A favorite on the Easter table as well.
This Easy Creamy Spinach recipe could be a great addition to your collection of side dishes for the holidays and not only. In my house, we eat it all the time even when it is not the holiday season.
Even my daughter, when she was abroad, called me and asked me how to make it, because she was craving “that green thing you make that I like and tend not to share with people”!
Creamy and delicious, this recipe was one of my favorite recipes while growing up, so it does not surprise me that my daughter really likes it too. I used to feed her when she was little because I could sneak in greens without her refusing it.
Spinach was one of those vegetables we all ate in spring when it was very affordable to buy at the Farmers Market.
My grandmother used to make this recipe for all of her grandchildren because it was known that spinach was the healthiest form of greens available.
She used to serve it with sunny side up fried eggs and good bread and I have to tell you that we used to lick the plates. I still make it like that for breakfast once in a while.
Sometimes she was serving the spinach, cold, on a slice of fresh bread, as a snack. A.M.A.Z.I.N.G! Or with a piece of chicken right next to it!
Anyway, the recipe is quite easy to put together. It is made with milk, a little bit of butter or oil, a little bit of flour for thickening and lots of garlic.
If you don’t like garlic and you feel like this recipe is not for you because of it, you can make it and skip the garlic or use less which is perfectly acceptable.
- 16 oz bag of organic frozen spinach
- 1 Tablespoon flour
- 2 Tablespoons butter
- 3-4 garlic cloves
- 1 cup milk
- salt and pepper to taste
- In a cooking pan, heat up the butter and add the spinach.
- Saute the spinach until soft.
- Add salt and pepper to your taste.
- Crush the garlic and set aside.
- Separately, mix flour and milk together until smooth and free of any lumps.
- Add the milk and flour to the spinach and keep mixing to keep it creamy.
- If it gets too thick, add a little bit of milk to the pan.
- Add the garlic.
- Keep mixing. Taste for salt and pepper.
- Remove it from the heat and serve.
- Note: If you want it smoother, use a vertical blender for few seconds, especially if you serve it to young kids. Makes a great dip as well, served with pita chips.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 132 Total Fat: 8g Saturated Fat: 5g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 3g Cholesterol: 20mg Sodium: 262mg Carbohydrates: 11g Fiber: 4g Sugar: 1g Protein: 7g