Cheese straws with feta and poppy seeds are a delicious way to serve your guests appetizers or snacks. These cheese straws go really well with beer.
If you take a look at my blog’s appetizer section you will notice some other recipes for cheese straws. I grew up with them and always loved them. The cheese straws, especially the homemade ones, are perfect for appetizers or just snacks and go perfect with cold beers.
They have a special place on the table on Easter or Christmas, but Romanians like to make them all year round and serve them as snacks. If I would have to choose between store bought cheese straws and homemade, I would definitely choose the homemade.
These little treasures are very easy to make, the ingredients are usually available in most home pantries and they are delicious. Bake them on a chilly day and the aroma will warm up your home and your heart. Serve them on a hot day with cold beer and everyone will love you!
This recipe is made with feta cheese, butter and yogurt. The dough can be used the same day, but it is also perfect when you freeze it and use it later for different occasions. As toppings you can use salt, poppy seeds, caraway, sesame or shredded cheese.
These cheese straws are versatile and can be cut in any shape or form. They are ready in 15-20 minutes in the oven and can be consumed immediately. Perfect snack for hungry people! Are you entertaining for the holidays? Make these! What about Easter, or a Sunday night? Perfect!
Or maybe you want to join The Bossy Kitchen community group where you can share your creations made from this blog or from other sources. Everyone is welcome to join!
- 4cups/500g all purpose flour
- 10.5 Tablespoons/150g cold unsalted butter cubed
- 2cups/300g Feta cheese crumbled
- 2 large eggs
- 6½ tablespoons /100g yogurt(or sour cream)
- 1 egg beaten to brush the straws before baking them
- Toppings: poppy seeds, caraway, sesame, coarse salt
- Pulse in a food processor flour and butter until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Add crumbled cheese, eggs and yogurt or sour cream and pulse again until you obtain a dough.
- Remove the dough from the food processor, wrap it in plastic and refrigerate for an hour.
- Bring it back to the kitchen and preheat oven to 350F/180C.
- On a floured counter, roll out the dough to ¼ inch or 5 mm thick.
- Then cut 3x1/2 inch or 7.5x1cm strips, about 24 pieces.
- Place the strips on the prepared cookie sheet.
- Brush each straw with the remaining egg and sprinkle with poppy, sesame, or caraway seeds.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes, or until golden.
- Finally, transfer them to wire racks to cool.