I love cheese straws. I have different recipes, all collected over the years. Different textures, different seeds, different types of cheese. The cheese straws are awesome as snacks or appetizers and go really well with beer. On this recipe, I used black caraway seeds. If you do not find black caraway seeds you can use regular caraway or poppy seeds.
Romanians love the cheese straws and there are tons of recipes out there. This recipe in particular is one of my favorites though because they have the taste of the ones I used to eat while growing up. Even during the communism, many years ago, while food was scarce, the cheese straws were a great snack to take to school, lunch at work or just a fancy appetizer when we had guests.
The black caraway seeds are a modern addition to this recipe but the “peppery” taste of them brings a beautiful flavor to the recipe.
For this recipe I used:
my life saver mixer
shredded cheddar cheese
I hope you will enjoy them…
Suggestion: Serve them with cold beer (great for watching a game on a Sunday afternoon)
- 3cups/ 14 oz/ 400 g organic all purpose flour
- 2 cups/ 7 oz/ 200 g shredded cheddar cheese
- 14 Tablespoons/ 7 oz/ 200 g unsalted butter room temperature
- 6 Tablespoons organic sour cream
- 1 egg for brushing the dough
- ½ tbsp salt
- 1 Tbsp black caraway seeds
- Preheat oven to 350F/180C.
- In a mixing bowl add flour, salt, butter at room temperature, shredded cheese, sour cream and black caraway seeds.
- Mix well until all the ingredients come together as a dough.
- Cut the dough in three parts.
- On a floured surface spread the dough with a rolling pin, brush the surface with egg and cut straws with a pizza or a pasta cutter.
- Bake them at 350F/180C for about 20 minutes until nice and golden.
- Serve cold.