Here you have an Easy Cheese Crackers Recipe to make at home. Delicious and easy to make, these savory appetizers are perfect for a Sunday in the family or as a snack to have around. They go well with cold beers.
Homemade Cheese Crackers
Did I ever tell you how much I love homemade cheese crackers? I grew up eating them quite often. Today I decided to make this easy, delicious recipe again.
It was also an excellent snack for possible guests around the house. I don’t make them often because I have no self-control around them.
I cannot stop visiting the tray until nothing is left. I love the simplicity of the ingredients and how easy it is to make them. (here you have another recipe)
You do not need any special skills to put the dough together, so there is no excuse not to try to make them at least once and see how they are.
None of the store-bought crackers will beat these crackers, trust me!
These cheese crackers are great served with beer at parties and gatherings as appetizers or simply as snacks to munch on them.
You can sprinkle them with all kinds of seeds. My favorites are poppy, caraway, or sesame seeds.
You can also cut the dough in any shape you like. I made triangles and squares this time, but you can also use a cookie cutter to make any shapes.
Kids like these crackers, too, so it might be a good recipe for them to try.
What ingredients you need for the recipe:
- All-purpose flour– please do not use self-rising flour as the recipe is not designed for it.
- Unsalted butter cold and cubed- the colder, the better.
- Shredded Cheddar Cheese– see more about that at the bottom of the recipe.
- Sour cream
- Egg yolk for brushing the crackers before baking
- Optional: Sesame seeds, poppy seeds, caraway seeds
- Food processor– this is optional. The dough can be made by hand as well.
- Baking sheet
- Rolling Pin
- Pastry cutter
- Dough Scraper
- Pastry Wheel Cutter or this one
How to make these Easy Cheese Crackers Recipe:
The recipe resembles the same method of making a pie crust. Basically, you cut the butter into the flour and mix it to obtain a sandy texture dough.
Cheese and sour cream are added, then all the ingredients are mixed to obtain a dough that will go in the fridge for an hour.
Note: You can basically make the dough in a food processor by pulsing all ingredients a few times until they come together as a dough. In 5 minutes, you are done.
After the dough is chilled in the fridge, you roll it out on parchment paper.
I cut the dough in squares, then triangles, directly on the paper because it was easier.
You can roll out the dough on the table, cut it into different shapes, and then transfer them to the baking tray covered with parchment paper.
I was in a hurry, so I chose to do it directly on paper.
Brush everything with egg and sprinkle your favorite seeds or flakes of sea salt.
Bake and enjoy!
Questions and Answers:
Cheddar cheese is my first option. Mozzarella, Gruyere, or Feta are beautiful choices as well. I never used Parmesan cheese in this recipe, but if you shred it yourself, this cheese might work as well.
You can use salted butter, but you will have to lower the amount of salt in the recipe. I would add only 3/4 teaspoon of salt.
Yes, you can freeze the dough. You could make a double batch and use half of it. Freeze the rest for later use. These types of dough last in the freezer for up to 3 months.
Yes, wrap them in parchment paper and place them in freezer bags, and they can stay in the freezer for up to 3 months as well.
If you want a crunchy cracker, you need to extend the time of baking in the oven for another minute or two. I prefer crackers a little bit softer. They taste divine.
Interested in more appetizer recipes?
- 3 cups/375g all-purpose flour
- 1½ teaspoon salt
- 6 Tablespoons/90g unsalted butter cold and cubed
- 2cups/200g shredded cheese Cheddar, Mozzarella, Gruyere etc.
- ½ cup +1/4 cup/175g sour cream
- 1 egg yolk for brushing the crackers before baking
- Optional: Sesame seeds, poppy seeds, caraway seeds etc.
- Mix flour and salt together in a bowl.
- Add cold, cubed butter and mix it in the flour until you obtain a sandy mixture.
- Add the cheese and the sour cream and mix until you obtain a stiff dough.
- If the dough is too sticky, dust it with a teaspoon of flour and lightly knead it to incorporate the flour.
- Wrap dough in foil and place it in the refrigerator for an hour.
- Preheat oven to 180C/350F.
- Take the dough out and split it in two parts.
- Cover a baking tray with parchment paper.
- Roll out the dough on the parchment paper, aprox ⅛ of an inch thick(3mm).
- Use a pizza cutter to slice the dough sheet in squares, then in triangles.
- Pinch each triangle with a fork.
- Beat one egg and brush each triangle of dough with it.
- Sprinkle poppy seeds, sesame seeds or caraway over the dough and bake the crackers at 350F/180C for 15 minutes until golden brown.
- Repeat the process with the second piece of dough.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 239Total Fat: 20gSaturated Fat: 12gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 7gCholesterol: 60mgSodium: 186mgCarbohydrates: 10gFiber: 1gSugar: 0gProtein: 5g