Easy Cheesy Crackers is a homemade recipe of savory crackers to enjoy as appetizers or snacks. Delicious and easy to make, these appetizers are perfect for a Sunday in the family or as a snack to have around. They go really well with cold beers.
Today I decided to make again this easy, delicious recipe. Did I ever tell you how much I love homemade cheesy crackers? I grew up eating them quite often.
It was also a great snack to have around the house for possible guests. I don’t make them very often because I have no self control around them.
I just cannot stop visiting the tray until nothing is left. I love the simplicity of the ingredients and how easy it is to make them.(here you have another recipe)
You do not need any special skills to put the dough together, so there is no excuse to not try to make them at least once and see how they are.
None of the store bought crackers are going to beat these crackers, trust me!
These cheesy crackers are great served with beer, at parties and gatherings as appetizers or simply as snacks to munch on them.
You can sprinkle them with all kinds of seeds. My favorites are poppy, caraway or sesame seeds.
You can also cut the dough in any shape you like. This time, I made triangles and squares, but you can also use a cookie cutter and make any shapes you like.
Kids like these crackers too, so it might be a good recipe to play with in the kitchen.
How to make these Easy Cheesy Crackers Recipe:
The recipe resembles the same method of making a pie crust. You basically cut the butter into the flour and mix it to obtain a dough that has a sandy texture.
Cheese and sour cream are added, then all the ingredients are mixed together to obtain a dough that will go in the fridge for an hour.
You can basically make the dough in a food processor by pulsing all ingredients few times until they come together as a dough. In 5 minutes you are done.
After the dough is chilled in the fridge, you roll it out on a piece of parchment paper.
I cut the dough in squares, then in triangles, directly on the paper, because it was easier.
You can roll out the dough on the table and cut in in different shapes, then transfer them to the baking tray covered with parchment paper.
I was in a hurry, so I chose to do it directly on the paper.
Brush everything with egg and sprinkle your favorite seeds or flakes of sea salt.
Bake and enjoy!
- 3 cups/375g all-purpose flour
- 1½ teaspoon salt
- 6 Tablespoons/90g unsalted butter cold and cubed
- 2cups/200g shredded cheese Cheddar, Mozzarella, Gruyere etc.
- ½ cup +1/4 cup/175g sour cream
- 1 egg yolk for brushing the crackers before baking
- Optional: Sesame seeds, poppy seeds, caraway seeds etc.
- Mix flour and salt together in a bowl.
- Add cold, cubed butter and mix it in the flour until you obtain a sandy mixture.
- Add the cheese and the sour cream and mix until you obtain a stiff dough.
- If the dough is too sticky, dust it with a teaspoon of flour and lightly knead it to incorporate the flour.
- Wrap dough in foil and place it in the refrigerator for an hour.
- Preheat oven to 180C/350F.
- Take the dough out and split it in two parts.
- Cover a baking tray with parchment paper.
- Roll out the dough on the parchment paper, aprox ⅛ of an inch thick(3mm).
- Use a pizza cutter to slice the dough sheet in squares, then in triangles.
- Pinch each triangle with a fork.
- Beat one egg and brush each triangle of dough with it.
- Sprinkle poppy seeds, sesame seeds or caraway over the dough and bake the crackers at 350F/180C for 15 minutes until golden brown.
- Repeat the process with the second piece of dough.
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 239 Total Fat: 20g Saturated Fat: 12g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 7g Cholesterol: 60mg Sodium: 186mg Carbohydrates: 10g Net Carbohydrates: 0g Fiber: 1g Sugar: 0g Sugar Alcohols: 0g Protein: 5g