This Moroccan chicken soup with chickpeas recipe is a really good one for winters and also the times when you fight a cold. Besides the chicken, this soup has a lot of warming spices.
Cumin, coriander, cinnamon, turmeric are best known not only for their flavor but also for their health benefits.
We live in a very cold climate, so having soup in the fridge every week is something normal in our household. Soups warm you up inside and bring joy to the soul during the cold season.
This Moroccan chicken soup with chickpeas won the award for the best winter soup in my husband’s book.
He thinks this is the best soup ever and while he was inhaling a bowl of it the other night, he even came up with the idea that we should just open a restaurant where we could sell only soups like this one.
He might be into something except that I am not sure if I want to open a restaurant and make soups for the rest of my life.
However, this recipe is a really good one for times when you fight a cold. Besides the chicken, this soup has a lot of warming spices.
Spices like cumin, coriander, cinnamon, turmeric are best known not only for their flavor but also for their health benefits.
Note: The chicken in the soup can be replaced with turkey meat, therefore the recipe is a good one for the holidays and a perfect way to use leftovers.
If you use cooked turkey or chicken (you know, the store bought roasted chicken sitting in your fridge), start the recipe with the vegetables and add the chicken later in the process, as it is already cooked.
Any kind of chicken or turkey part is good to use in this soup. I personally like to use chicken with the bone-in and skin-on because the soup will have more flavor.
Before you make this recipe, you will need:
- An affordable soup pot – you want it not only for soup, but for that amazing homemade bread recipe you can find here.
- A good knife to chop your vegetables like a chef
- And a good collection of spices that will last for a while. Everyone will look at you with respect, because a great cook has always the basics in the pantry.(check mine)
Enjoy the recipe and stay warm with other soup recipes you can find here.
- 2 pounds chicken parts(skin on thighs, bone in legs, chicken breast)
- Note: Any chicken part is suitable
- 2 carrots (chopped small)
- 1medium onion (chopped)
- 3 garlic cloves (chopped)
- 2 ribs green celery (finely chopped)
- 7 cups water
- 2-3 tablespoons olive oil or vegetable oil
- 1 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 3/4 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/2 cup crushed tomatoes
- 1 lemon (use the juice)
- 1 can chickpeas(use the can liquid as well)
- salt and pepper to taste
- Optional: a handful of noodles or pasta
- In a large soup pot heat up the oil on medium high heat and add the chicken, carrots, garlic, onions and celery. Mix them with a spoon until the vegetables develop their flavor.
- Add the water and the crushed tomatoes and bring to a boil, then reduce heat and let the soup simmer for about 40 minutes until the chicken is cooked and vegetables soft.
- Add the spices and the chickpeas(together with their liquid) and simmer for another 7-8 minutes.
- Add the noodles or pasta. Simmer for 4-5 minutes more or until the pasta is cooked.
- Taste for salt and pepper.
- Add the juice of the lemon and taste again.
- Serve hot.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 467Total Fat: 27gSaturated Fat: 6gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 18gCholesterol: 126mgSodium: 260mgCarbohydrates: 20gFiber: 4gSugar: 3gProtein: 36g