Tabbouleh salad is a popular salad throughout the Middle East. This fresh green salad features chopped fresh parsley, fresh mint, tomato, scallions and lemon juice. Traditional tabbouleh also includes bulgur wheat grains.
However, are you looking for a gluten free version of the so loved Tabbouleh salad? Quinoa is the answer when you replace the bulgur wheat grains. A fresh take on an old classic, this recipe is a simple, beautiful salad that requires few fresh ingredients.
Quinoa is gluten free, which means that people with Celiac disease and gluten intolerance can freely enjoy this salad. The protein content of quinoa makes it a particularly good choice for vegans and vegetarians who do not get their protein from meat. It’s also an excellent source of magnesium, iron and dietary fiber. It can be used in both savory and sweet dishes; Give it a try and substitute it anywhere in your recipes that usually use rice or couscous.
How To Cook Quinoa:
If you use uncooked quinoa, for each cup of uncooked seeds, use 2 cups of water. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to medium-low and cover the pot.
Simmer for 15 minutes until the quinoa absorbs the water. Remove from the stove and let rest for 5 minutes. For this salad, let it cool, then use it.
How To Make Quinoa Tabbouleh Salad:
Place the quinoa into a salad bowl, chop the green onions, parsley, tomatoes, peppers, mint, add the spices, lemon juice, salt and pepper and serve chilled. Easy peasy, right?
Looks refreshing, colorful and beautiful! And it is delicious! Enjoy!
- 8oz(227g) cooked quinoa
- 1 large bunch parsley, chopped
- 1 bunch spring onions chopped
- 3-4 medium tomatoes chopped
- 1-2 tbsp dried mint, or few leaves chopped fresh mint
- 1 small green or red pepper chopped
- salt and pepper to taste
- pinch of allspice
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp ground cumin(optional)
- juice of 1-2 lemons according to your taste
- Clean and chop parsley, green onions, tomatoes, pepper and place everything in a salad bowl.
- Add the cooked and cool quinoa and mix together.
- Add the spices and taste for salt and pepper.
- Add the lemon juice and mix again. Serve cold.