Quick Tomato Cucumber And Pepper Summer Salad is a delicious recipe that uses fresh tomatoes, cucumbers and peppers tossed in a light dressing made of only vegetable oil and salt.
Eastern Europeans love this salad. It is easy to make, especially in the summer when tomatoes, cucumbers, and peppers are in season.
The best tomatoes for this salad are the ones from your own garden or the Farmers Market. These tomatoes actually get to see the sun, and they are also sweet and juicy.
I grew up eating this salad all summer long. Where I come from, this salad is like a staple for a light lunch or dinner and a great addition to any meal.
You can serve it with French Fries, home-made, or you can have it for breakfast or brunch, as I sometimes do, right next to some sunny-side-up eggs. Throw some bacon next to these eggs, and have a great meal!
To build a classic salad like this one, you need only four ingredients, tomatoes, cucumbers, green onions, and peppers.
From there, you can add anything you want and make this salad a meal by itself.
There is a divine combination of textures and flavors in this salad. Tomatoes provide juiciness, the cucumbers and peppers add crunchiness, and the onion brings an extra zing to the table.
Some vegetable oil or olive oil(if available) and salt to your taste is all you need. Don’t add vinegar, just oil. And toss all that goodness into the juices coming from the tomatoes.
Let the salad sit for five minutes until you grab some crusty slices of bread to dip into the sauce. You will be in heaven!
To make it a meal, add some crumbled Feta cheese over it. Replace the green onions with red ones if you have some to bring more color into the mix.
Also, some olives are perfect as well. Voila! You are here for a feast!
This salad would be great if you serve it with grilled meats, or some delicious Chicken Schnitzel. Yum and yum!
To make it serious, it is not a big deal. Grab a salad bowl, chop up your ingredients, put them all together in the bowl, add salt and some oil, and you are ready to eat.
No, it doesn’t have vinegar or lemon juice! No sugar, honey, or other ingredients either! Do not try to add any dressing that you might find in the fridge! Not a good idea!
Let the salad sit for 5 minutes before you start dipping some chunks of French baguette into that juice at the bottom of your bowl. Your mouth will be in heaven! You don’t have a French baguette? Make this bread instead!
Enjoy and let me know if you like it, ok? Or if you have a favorite salad recipe for the summer. I would love to hear from you!
- 4-5 medium size tomatoes
- 1-2 medium sweet bell peppers(any color)
- 1 medium white or red onion or 3-4 green onions
- 2-3 small cucumbers or 1 big English cucumber
- 3 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil or vegetable oil
- Salt to taste
- Optional: 1-2 tablespoons of fresh crumbled Feta cheese
- Optional: Fresh baguette
- Optional: few black olives
- Wash vegetables.
- Slice tomatoes in thin wedges.
- Peel the cucumbers and slice them thin.
- Seed the peppers and slice them into bite-size chunks.
- Chop the green onions. If you use regular onion, julienne it.
- In a large bowl, place all ingredients.
- Add salt to your taste. Toss the vegetables together.
- Add extra virgin olive oil or vegetable oil(I make this salad with sunflower oil, my preference)
- Mix again to coat all ingredients with the oil.
- Optional: Add crumbled Feta cheese to your taste and olives.
- French baguette is also good for dipping in the juices.
Optional toppings for this salad:
- Feta cheese
- French baguette
- A few black olives
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 203Total Fat: 14gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 12gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 16mgCarbohydrates: 19gFiber: 4gSugar: 10gProtein: 4g