This quick summer salad is a very popular recipe in Romania, where I was born. It is easy to make, most people have the ingredients in the refrigerator and it is a great addition to any meal. You don’t need more than four ingredients, tomatoes, cucumbers, green onions and peppers. Ok, five if you add some Feta cheese to it. And six, if you add some olives. Make it seven, if you have some French baguette, your meal will be complete. Great served with grilled meats, or French Fries made from scratch, or some Chicken Schnitzel. Yum and yum!
To make it, seriously, it is not a big deal. Grab a salad bowl, chop up your ingredients, put them all together in the bowl, add salt and some olive oil and you are ready to eat. No, it doesn’t have vinegar or lemon juice! Do not add any dressing you might find in the fridge, either! Not a good idea! Let the salad sit for 5 minutes before you start dipping some chunks of French baguette into that juice at the bottom of your bowl. Your mouth will be in heaven!
You don’t have a French baguette? Make this bread instead! Enjoy and let me know if you like it, ok? Or if you have a favorite salad recipe for the summer. I would love to hear from you!
- 4-5 tomatoes
- 1-2 peppers(any color)
- 1 onion or 3-4 green onions
- 2-3 medium cucumbers
- 3 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- Feta cheese crumbles
- French baguette
- Wash vegetables.
- Slice tomatoes in wedges.
- Peel the cucumbers and cut them in medium slices.
- Seed the peppers and slice them in bite size chunks.
- Chop the green onions. If you use regular onion, julienne it.
- Mix all the ingredients.
- Add salt.
- Add extra virgin olive oil.
- Mix well.
- Optional: Add crumbled Feta cheese to your taste and olives.
- French baguette is also good for dipping in the juices.