What are some of your weaknesses when it comes to food? Mine are the pastries. Bucharest, the place I come from, has pastry shops on every corner of the street. These little bakeries make the best pretzels and pastries around and everyone enjoys them. It is impossible to walk on the streets of this busy city and not stop to buy at least one of these pastries.
I am bringing to you today a recipe that is close to my heart and I hope that if you try it, you will also fall in love with it. These pastries filled with farmer cheese and raisins are to die for. also, they are very easy to put together.
The recipe uses very simple ingredients and can be prepared from A to Z in about an hour. All you need is puff pastry, farmer cheese, eggs, sugar, vanilla and some raisins if you like them. If you cannot find farmer cheese you can replace it with ricotta cheese. It doesn’t have the same texture, but it is the closest one to the farmer cheese.
HOW TO MAKE THE FARMER CHEESE SWEET PASTRIES:
Start by defrosting the puff pastry and bring it to room temperature. It takes about 40 minutes. The puff pastry, in general, is easier to work with when it is still cold. Meanwhile, grab a bowl and mix the farmer cheese with eggs, sugar, vanilla, and raisins. It takes only a few minutes, basically.
Place the puff pastry sheet on a floured surface and put few tablespoons of the mixture on one side of the pastry. Roll the dough just enough to cover the cheese and obtain a roll. Cut the roll with a cutter to separate it from the rest of the puff pastry sheet.
Finally, cut the roll again in equal parts, based on how big you want the pastries to be. Place them with a spatula on the baking sheet. Use parchment paper for covering the bottom of the baking sheet if you do not have a silicone baking mat like mine.
Repeat the process until you finish the cheese mixture and the puff pastry.
Mix an egg with some milk and brush the top of each pastry with it. Bake them at 400F/200C for about 30 minutes or until golden brown.
This was the result. Pretty handsome, right?
Sprinkle with powder sugar and serve them warm! Great for breakfast, great for taking to work or school, just great for a snack.
I love them with a cup of hot coffee or tea.
Interested to make other pastries? Here you have some ideas, Feta and Black Caraway Pastries:
Or Ham And Cheese PuffPastries Pockets(these are super easy to make and so delicious!
Or maybe you want to join The Bossy Kitchen community group where you can share your creations made from this blog or from other sources. Everyone is welcome to join!
- 1 package Puff Pastry
- 17 oz/ 500 g farmers cheese or ricotta cheese
- 2 eggs
- 3.5 oz/100 g sugar
- 1 handful raisins
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 egg for brushing the pastries
- 1 tsp milk
- Defrost the puff pastry for about 40 minutes at room temperature.
- Place parchment paper on a baking sheet or a silicone baking mat.
- Preheat oven to 400F/200C.
- In a medium bowl mix together farmers cheese, eggs, raisins sugar and vanilla extract.
- Place the puff pastry sheet on a floured surface and put few tablespoons of the mixture on one side of the pastry. Roll the dough just enough to cover cheese and obtain a roll. Cut roll with a sharp knife or a cutter to separate it from the rest of the puff pastry sheet.
- Cut the roll again in equal parts, based on how big you want the pastries. Place them on a baking sheet.
- Repeat the process until you finish the cheese mixture and the puff pastry.
- Brush each pastry with a mixture of egg and a little bit of milk.
- Bake at 400F/200C for approx. 30 min or until golden brown.
- Sprinkle with powder sugar and serve warm or cold.