This is a recipe that will stay with you for ever as soon as you try it. These farmer cheese sweet pastries are to die for. The place I come from, the pastry shops are on every corner of the street. These little bakeries make the best pretzels and pastries around.
This recipe uses very simple ingredients and can be prepared from A to Z in about an hour. All you need is puff pastry, farmer cheese, eggs, sugar, vanilla and some raisins, if you like them. If you cannot find farmer cheese you can replace it with ricotta cheese. It doesn’t have the same texture, but it is the closest one to the farmer cheese.
HOW I MADE THE FARMER CHEESE SWEET PASTRIES:
I started by defrosting the puff pastry at room temperature for about 40 minutes. The puff pastry is easier to work with when it is still cold. Meanwhile, I grabbed a bowl and mixed the farmers cheese with eggs, sugar, vanilla and raisins. I mixed everything together.
I placed the puff pastry sheet on a floured surface and put few tablespoons of the mixture on one side of the pastry. Then I rolled the dough just enough to cover the cheese and obtain a roll. I cut the roll with a cutter to separate it from the rest of the puff pastry sheet. Finally, I cut the roll again in equal parts, based on how big I wanted the pastries. Then, I placed them with a spatula on my baking sheet. Use parchment paper for covering the bottom of the baking sheet if you do not have a silicone baking mat like mine.
Repeat the process until you finish the cheese mixture and the puff pastry.
I mixed an egg with some milk and brushed the top of each pastry with it. Bake them at 400F/200C for about 30 minutes until golden brown.
Sprinkle with powder sugar and serve them warm! Great for breakfast, great for taking to work or school, just great for a snack.
- 1 package Puff Pastry
- 17 oz/ 500 g farmers cheese or ricotta cheese
- 2 eggs
- 3.5 oz/100 g sugar
- 1 handful raisins
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 egg for brushing the pastries
- 1 tsp milk
- Defrost the puff pastry for about 40 minutes at room temperature.
- Place parchment paper on a baking sheet or a silicone baking mat.
- Preheat oven to 400F/200C.
- In a medium bowl mix together farmers cheese, eggs, raisins sugar and vanilla extract.
- Place the puff pastry sheet on a floured surface and put few tablespoons of the mixture on one side of the pastry. Roll the dough just enough to cover cheese and obtain a roll. Cut roll with a sharp knife or a cutter to separate it from the rest of the puff pastry sheet.
- Cut the roll again in equal parts, based on how big you want the pastries. Place them on a baking sheet.
- Repeat the process until you finish the cheese mixture and the puff pastry.
- Brush each pastry with a mixture of egg and a little bit of milk.
- Bake at 400F/200C for aprox. 30 min or until golden brown.
- Sprinkle with powder sugar and serve warm or cold.