Delicious chocolate cupcakes with rum chocolate ganache - a treat for chocolate lovers! Make them for parties or potlucks with your favorite decorations.
This weekend, I was invited to a party where I also provided the treats for the night.
I have to confess something...I was never a fan of cupcakes before, so I never made them.
I also never had the opportunity (it is hard to believe, but it is the truth) to actually taste a homemade cupcake in all these years of living in Minnesota.
Everything from the store was either too sweet or very artificial tasting which turned me off and ruined my desire to want cupcakes.
Notes & Tips
However, after this weekend, I rediscovered an elementary and "common sense" fact: If you make them from scratch using real, good-quality ingredients, the cupcakes are delicious!
Rethinking my philosophy behind cupcakes and reminding myself never to say never, I finally decided to make two different cupcakes for this party: chocolate cupcakes with rum chocolate ganache and pumpkin cupcakes with cream cheese frosting.
How to decorate
After baking the cupcakes, I decorated them with Autumn theme fondant decorations.
Little orange pumpkins, tiny acorns, beautiful orange roses, and many leaves created a beautiful display on the table.
Aren't they beautiful?
Getting back to my chocolate cupcakes, these beauties are super easy to make, but frosting them with chocolate ganache will transform these delicious desserts into something elegant that everyone will love.
There is no doubt that good dark chocolate is the best. Good quality one will make the best cupcakes ever.
I hope you try them because they are divine. This recipe is best for parties, especially if you make mini ones instead of the regular size.
I love mini desserts especially when they have super cute decorations.
What do you think?
Chocolate Cupcakes With Rum Chocolate Ganache
- 1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- ¾ cups granulated sugar
- ¼ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup milk
- ¼ cup vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup dark chocolate chips or semi-sweet
- ¾ cup heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon rum flavor
- 1 tablespoon butter
- Preheat oven to 375F. Line a 12 cup muffin pan with paper liners or a 24 mini muffin pan.
- In a large bowl, stir together flour, sugar, baking soda, and cocoa powder.
- Add milk, oil, vinegar, and vanilla.
- Beat with a whisk or electric mixer just until well incorporated.
- Spoon batter into the prepared pan, filling the cups about ¾ full.
- Bake at 350F for about 18-20 minutes if you use regular cupcake size and only 15 minutes for the mini cupcakes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of a cupcake comes out clean.
- Remove cupcakes from the pan and let cool completely before frosting or decorating.
- Place the chocolate chips in a medium bowl.
- In a small saucepan heat up the heavy cream closer to the point of boiling.
- Pour over the chocolate and let it sit for 2 minutes without touching it.
- Add the butter.
- Take a spatula and mix the chocolate together with the heavy cream until completely smooth.
- Add the rum flavor.
- Let it cool in the kitchen, then in the fridge for 1-2 hours.
- When ready to use, beat it well with a mixer, on low speed until fluffy.
- Decorate the cupcakes.