This is an easy pumpkin cupcakes with cream cheese frosting recipe. Perfect around the Halloween and a “must have” dessert during “everything pumpkin” season!
Easy Pumpkin Cupcakes With Cream Cheese Frosting
I never owned a pumpkin cupcakes recipe before. I never made cupcakes either, as coming from a different culture, I never understood what the big deal was about the cupcakes.
You will probably laugh, but after trying different flavors and different types of cupcakes, I decided that I am not really a fan of them. For me, all the recipes out there were either too sweet or too artificial.
This weekend, though, I had the honor to be chosen to provide treats for this fun party where we were also invited.
After few days of thinking hard and reminding myself to “Never say never”, I decided to give it a try and make some mini cupcakes for the party.
I was very nervous about how I was going to accomplish the task, but during the process, I actually discovered that if you make them from scratch and you make them right, cupcakes are actually a lot of fun (duh…) 🙂
To make the decorations, I used colored fondant and made little orange pumpkins, acorns, orange little roses and lots of autumn leaves.
These are some of the leaves I made by mixing 5 different colors of fondant. Aren’t they cute?
The recipe for the cupcakes was pretty easy to put together. You need pumpkin puree which is available in the stores.
I got organic, as I like using as many organic ingredients I can get my hands on. If you do not live in US and pumpkin puree is not available, you can always make your own.
Roasted in the oven is the best way to go.
The cream cheese frosting is also very easy to make and not very sweet. Because these cupcakes have a lot of spices in them, therefore tons of flavor, the cream cheese frosting is on the simple side.
What kind of ingredients you will need for these easy pumpkin cupcakes with cream cheese frosting:
- all purpose flour- it is available everywhere and you can bake lots of desserts with it, so it is nice to have it in the pantry
- spices: all spice, nutmeg, ginger, cinnamon are usually the most popular spices used for all kind of desserts in the fall and winter
- salt- enhances the flavors
- leavening agents: baking soda and baking powder- these ingredients help the batter rise in the oven
- light brown sugar- brings a depth of flavor that will make the cupcakes very delicious
- unsalted butter- add moisture and flavor
- pumpkin puree- brings moisture and flavor
- granulated sugar- sweetness
- eggs- provide moisture and structure
I chose to make mini cupcakes. As we had many other treats besides these ones, I really wanted all the guests to try a little bit of everything I made.
The cupcakes came out beautifully and I was very pleased with the texture and the taste. Again, not very sweet and very flavorful.
There is an abundance of spices in the recipe, like cinnamon, all-spice, nutmeg and a good amount of ginger which makes everything better.
The recipe yields for 18 regular cupcakes. Making mini cupcakes, I ended up with more than 50, which was perfect to feed the crowd.
I decorated them the next day and sent them over to the party. They were a great success!
Can I freeze the cupcakes?
I would not freeze the frosted cupcakes, but you can freeze the baked cupcakes and frost them after you bring them to room temperature.
Can I make the cupcakes with some time in advance?
Yes, you can make them with 1 day before and keep them covered at room temperature over night. Also, the frosting can be made in advance and kept it covered in the refrigerator until you are ready to decorate.
What kind of tools do I need for frosting the cupcakes?
Well, there are lots of tools out there that you can use. If you are a beginner though, you can just frost the cupcakes using a knife that has a wider blade, or a small spatula.
I want to make mini cupcakes, how long do I bake them?
The regular cupcakes need to be baked for 20-25 minutes, but the mini ones cannot be baked for more than 12-13 minutes.
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon ground all spice
- 1/4 teaspoon grated nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
- 2 sticks/1 cup unsalted butter
- 1 can/15 oz pumpkin puree
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 4 large eggs
CREAM CHEESE FROSTING:
- 12 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
- 1 cup powdered sugar, sifted
- 1 to 2 tablespoons whole milk
- 10 tablespoons (1 1/4 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Line two cupcake pans with paper liners.
- In a bowl, whisk together flour, all spice, nutmeg, ginger, salt, baking soda, cinnamon, baking powder.Set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together brown sugar, granulated sugar, melted&cool unsalted butter, eggs, and pumpkin puree.
- Add flour mixture and whisk until smooth.
- Divide batter evenly among liners, filling each about halfway. Bake until tops spring back when lightly touched, about 20 to 25 minutes.
- If you prefer to make mini cupcakes, bake them only for 12-13 minutes at the same temperature.
- Transfer to a wire rack;
- Let cool completely.
- Decorate with cream cheese frosting.
- CREAM CHEESE FROSTING:
- In a large bowl, with an electric mixer, beat cream cheese and butter until smooth.
- Using the mixer on low, beat in the powdered sugar and vanilla extract until smooth and fluffy.
- Thin with whole milk if necessary.
- Frost the cupcakes.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Wilton Non-Stick Mega Muffin and Cupcake Baking Pan, 24-Cup
Wilton 2105-6789 Perfect Results Premium Non-Stick Bakeware Muffin and Cupcake Pan, 12-Cup, STANDARD, Silver
Cupcake Decorating Kit - The Perfect Cupcake By Love2bake -X-Large Stainless Steel Tips & Icing Bags
Wilton Elegance Cupcake Liners, 150-Count
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 383 Total Fat: 28g Saturated Fat: 17g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 9g Cholesterol: 115mg Sodium: 295mg Carbohydrates: 29g Fiber: 1g Sugar: 17g Protein: 4g