Learn how to make these easy pumpkin cupcakes with cream cheese frosting. They are perfect around Halloween and a “must-have” dessert during “everything pumpkin” season!
Pumpkin Cupcakes With Cream Cheese Frosting
These pumpkin cupcakes are delicious and easy to make. The abundance of spices makes them perfect for the colder season.
You will probably laugh, but I never had cupcakes until I moved to US. Unfortunately, the ones I had were store bought and after trying a few, I decided that I am not really a fan of them.
For me, all the recipes out there were either too sweet or too artificial, so I decided to make some cupcakes from scratch.
During the process, I discovered that if you make them from scratch and you make them right, cupcakes are actually a lot of fun.
This pumpkin cupcakes recipe was very easy to make. It uses pumpkin puree, and I was pleased to see that the recipe uses the entire can, so nothing is wasted.
I got organic pumpkin, as I like using as many organic ingredients as I can get my hands on. If you do not live in the US and pumpkin puree is not available, you can always make your own.
Roasted in the oven is the best way to go.
The cream cheese frosting is also very easy to make and not very sweet. Because these cupcakes have a lot of spices in them, therefore tons of flavor, the cream cheese frosting is on the simple side.
What kind of ingredients you need for these pumpkin cupcakes:
All purpose flour
It is available everywhere and you can bake lots of desserts with it, so it is nice to have it in the pantry.
All spice, nutmeg, ginger, cinnamon are usually the most popular spices used for all kind of desserts in the fall and winter.
Salt enhances the flavors of any baked goods and it is very important in baking.
Baking soda and baking powder- these ingredients help the batter rise in the oven.
Dark brown sugar
Brings a depth of flavor that will make the cupcakes very delicious.
Adds moisture, flavor and the necessary fat.
If we make pumpkin cupcakes, we need pumpkin puree. Cans are good but if you don’t live in the US and have no access to cans of squash, roast the pumpkin in the oven.
The granulated sugar brings sweetness and balances the dark brown sugar’s flavor.
Eggs provide moisture and structure to the baked goods. Most recipes are designed to use large eggs in the US and this is what we are going to use as well.
How to make these pumpkin cupcakes with cream cheese frosting:
Preheat the oven and line the cupcakes pan with paper. As you are making 18 cupcakes, use 2 pans and line only 18 cups.
In a bowl, whisk together flour, salt, spices, baking soda, and baking powder. Set aside.
In a large bowl, whisk together brown sugar, granulated sugar, melted & cool unsalted butter, eggs, and pumpkin puree.
Add the flour mixture and whisk until smooth.
Divide batter evenly among liners, filling each about halfway. Bake until tops spring back when lightly touched, about 20 to 25 minutes.
Note: If you prefer to make mini cupcakes, bake them only for 12-13 minutes at the same temperature. You will end up with about 50 mini cupcakes. Perfect for a party.
Transfer to a wire rack, and allow them to cool completely before you decorate them with the cream cheese mixture.
The cupcakes came out beautifully, and I was delighted with the texture and the taste. Again, they are not very sweet, but the flavors are awesome.
There is an abundance of spices in the recipe, like cinnamon, all-spice, nutmeg, and a good amount of ginger which makes everything better.
The recipe yields 18 regular cupcakes.
Cream cheese frosting:
Place all the ingredients together in a bowl.
In a large bowl, with an electric mixer, beat cream cheese and butter until smooth.
Using the mixer on low, beat in the powdered sugar and vanilla extract until smooth and fluffy.
Thin with whole milk if necessary.
Frost the cupcakes.
Decorate them as you like.
Can I freeze the cupcakes?
I would not freeze the frosted cupcakes, but you can freeze the baked cupcakes and frost them after bringing them back to room temperature.
Can I make the cupcakes in advance?
Yes, you can make them a day before and keep them covered at room temperature overnight. Also, the frosting can be made in advance and kept covered in the refrigerator until you are ready to decorate.
What kind of tools do I need for frosting the cupcakes?
Well, there are lots of tools out there that you can use. If you are a beginner, though, you can frost the cupcakes using a knife that has a broader blade, or a small spatula.
I want to make mini cupcakes, how long do I bake them?
The regular cupcakes need to be baked for 20-25 minutes, but the mini ones should be baked for no more than 12-13 minutes.
How to eat cupcakes like my daughter 🙂
Here is a good article that explains a fun way to eat a cupcake.
More recipes to love:
Pumpkin Cupcakes With Cream Cheese Frosting
- Wilton Non-Stick Mega Muffin and Cupcake Baking Pan
- Wilton Non-Stick Bakeware Muffin and Cupcake Pan, 12-Cup
- Cupcake Decorating Kit
- Wilton Elegance Cupcake Liners
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- ¼ teaspoon ground all spice
- ¼ teaspoon grated nutmeg
- ½ teaspoon ground ginger
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ cup packed dark brown sugar
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup unsalted butter 2 sticks melted and cool (or the same amount of vegetable oil)
- 15 ounces pumpkin puree 1 can
- 4 large eggs
CREAM CHEESE FROSTING:
- 12 ounces cream cheese room temperature
- 1 cup powdered sugar sifted
- 1 to 2 tablespoons whole milk
- 10 tablespoons unsalted butter, room temperature 1 1/4 sticks
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- You will end up with 18 cupcakes, so use two 12 cups cupcakes pans. Line the pan with 18 paper liners.
- In a bowl, whisk together flour, salt, spices, baking soda, and baking powder. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together brown sugar, granulated sugar, melted & cool unsalted butter, eggs, and pumpkin puree.
- Add the flour mixture and whisk until smooth.
- Divide batter evenly among liners, filling each about halfway. Bake until tops spring back when lightly touched, about 20 to 25 minutes.
- If you prefer to make mini cupcakes, bake them only for 12-13 minutes at the same temperature.
- Transfer to a wire rack.
- Let cool completely.
- Decorate with cream cheese frosting.
CREAM CHEESE FROSTING:
- In a large bowl, with an electric mixer, beat cream cheese and butter until smooth.
- Using the mixer on low, beat in the powdered sugar and vanilla extract until smooth and fluffy.
- Thin with whole milk if necessary.
- Frost the cupcakes.