This is a delicious recipe for Cream Cheese Frosted Pumpkin Cupcakes. Perfect around the Halloween and a “must have” dessert during “everything pumpkin” season!
I never owned a pumpkin cupcakes recipe before. I never made cupcakes either, as coming from a different culture, I never understood what the big deal was about the cupcakes.
You will probably laugh, but after trying different flavors and different types of cupcakes, I decided that I am not really a fan of them. For me, all the recipes out there were either too sweet or too artificial.
This weekend, though, I had the honor to be chosen to provide treats for this fun party where we were also invited.
After few days of thinking hard and reminding myself to “Never say never”, I decided to give it a try and make some mini cupcakes for the party.
I was very nervous about how I was going to accomplish the task, but during the process, I actually discovered that if you make them from scratch and you make them right, cupcakes are actually a lot of fun (duh…) 🙂
To make the decorations, I used colored fondant and made little orange pumpkins, acorns, orange little roses and lots of autumn leaves. These are some of the leaves I made by mixing 5 different colors of fondant. Aren’t they cute?
The recipe for the cupcakes was pretty easy to put together. You need pumpkin puree which is really easy to find in the stores. I got organic, as I like using as many organic ingredients I can get my hands on.
The cream cheese frosting is also very easy to make and not very sweet. You will find that my dessert recipes, in general, are less sweet, as I grew up with mostly desserts that have more flavor than sugar in them.
I chose to make mini cupcakes. As we had many other treats besides these ones, I really wanted all the guests to try a little bit of everything I made.
The cupcakes came out beautifully and I was very pleased with the texture and the taste. Again, not very sweet and very flavorful.
There is an abundance of spices in the recipe, like cinnamon, all-spice, nutmeg and a good amount of ginger which makes everything better. The recipe yields for 18 regular cupcakes. Making mini cupcakes, I ended up with more than 50, which was perfect.
I decorated them the next day and sent them over to the party. They were a great success! What do you think?
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon ground all spice
- 1/4 teaspoon grated nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
- 2 sticks/1 cup unsalted butter
- 1 can/15 oz pumpkin puree
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 4 large eggs
CREAM CHEESE FROSTING:
- 12 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
- 1 cup powdered sugar, sifted
- 1 to 2 tablespoons whole milk
- 10 tablespoons (1 1/4 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Line two cupcake pans with paper liners.
- In a bowl, whisk together flour, all spice, nutmeg, ginger, salt, baking soda, cinnamon, baking powder.Set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together brown sugar, granulated sugar, melted&cool unsalted butter, eggs, and pumpkin puree.
- Add flour mixture and whisk until smooth.
- Divide batter evenly among liners, filling each about halfway. Bake until tops spring back when lightly touched, about 20 to 25 minutes.
- Transfer to a wire rack;
- Let cool completely.
- Decorate with cream cheese frosting.
- CREAM CHEESE FROSTING:
- In a large bowl, with an electric mixer, beat cream cheese and butter until smooth.
- Using the mixer on low, beat in the powdered sugar and vanilla extract until smooth and fluffy.
- Thin with whole milk if necessary.
- Frost the cupcakes.
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 383 Total Fat: 28g Saturated Fat: 17g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 9g Cholesterol: 115mg Sodium: 295mg Carbohydrates: 29g Fiber: 1g Sugar: 17g Protein: 4g