The sweet and savory combination in this Grilled Ham And Cheese Cranberry Sandwich is irresistible. Learn how to make this easy and unconventional recipe featuring smoked ham, gooey cheese, and cranberry sauce.
Everyone loves a good grilled ham and cheese sandwich, and it is a pity that we do not make them more often. We forget how easy it is to make them and how they are.
If you think that a ham and cheese grilled sandwich would not blow your mind, I dare you to try this recipe.
Why you should try this ham and cheese cranberry sandwich:
- It is absolutely delicious. You don’t have to believe me. You have to make it to convince yourself.
- It’s rich and worth it! The cranberry sauce brings tanginess and sweetness and balances the smokiness of the ham.
- Perfect for any meal, from breakfast to dinner. This is the kind of sandwich that you can serve as a meal because it is quite fulfilling.
- Great for using leftovers. Is your refrigerator full of ham from the holidays? Thanksgiving, Christmas, or any time you have some cranberry sauce? Make this sandwich. You can have a movie night and make these sandwiches. Your entire family will go wild.
A grilled ham and cheese sandwich is never boring
Grilled ham and cheese sandwiches can be versatile and fun to make. The basic ingredients are bread, ham, and cheese. Besides these three items, the choices are unlimited.
Let’s talk about ham
You can use any ham you like. Here are some of the most popular ones:
- Black Forest Ham– this ham is salted and seasoned in spices before being cured and cold smoked.
- Honey or Maple Ham– honey or maple syrup are used in the curing process to add sweetness to the meat.
- Smoked Virginia Ham– it is smoked and delicious and adds lots of flavors to the sandwich.
- Prosciutto- This is Italian ham that is seasoned, air-dried, and salt-cured. It is not smoked, but it could be a great option for your grilled sandwich.
- Canadian Bacon– this is more like the American ham than bacon, but it is great in sandwiches or fried in a pan for breakfast.
Let’s talk about cheese
Cheese is an ingredient that you can adjust based on your preferences and availability. Here are some of the types of cheese you can use:
Let’s talk about cranberry sauce and what other things you can use instead
For this recipe today, I used cranberry sauce. This recipe is great for leftover cranberry sauce, relish, or jam. However, there are other things you can use as well, with the same delicious result.
- Raspberry jam
- Blueberry jam
- Red Currant jam
- Black Currant jam
- Strawberry jam
- Lingonberry jam
- Rosehip jam
Let’s talk about what kind of bread is good for this sandwich:
You can use all kinds of bread for this recipe. The basic
- Artisan Bread- I love this No-Knead Bread. Easy to make, this bread will bring out the baker in you!
- Sourdough Bread- This bread is chewy and tangy and absolutely delicious for this type of sandwich.
- White French Bread– we all love white bread. It is not very healthy for us, but we have to enjoy little pleasures in life once in a while, so go for it.
- Brioche Bread-this type of bread has a high content of eggs and butter. It is light and slightly puffy and amazing in any sandwich, from burgers to ham and cheese sandwiches.
- Croissant– delicious pastry that works really well for this sandwich. You cannot go wrong with this buttery and flaky option.
- Whole Wheat Bread– slightly healthier than white bread, this is a good option for this sandwich.
How to make this Grilled Ham And Cheese sandwich with cranberries:
Step 1. Brush one side of each slice of bread with olive oil. Olive oil helps the bread get crispier when cooked.
Step 2. Flip the slices over and spread each with some cranberry sauce/jam.
Step 3. Slice the cheese of your choice and divide among sandwiches.
Step 4. Top each with ham and remaining bread slices, with the oil-sides up.
Step 5. In a nonstick skillet, place sandwiches and cook 3-4 minutes per slide, until bread is golden brown and cheese is melted.
How easy was that?
What to serve with this sandwich?
While this sandwich is perfect to be served as a meal, there are others options as well:
- French Fries– you can learn how to make this easy recipe of potato French fries like grandma used to make.
- Soup– I like tomato soup, do you?
- Potato Chips
More Recipes To Love:
- 8 slices of bread
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 8 ounces cheese
- 8 slices of deli ham
- 1 jar cranberry sauce/jam
- 12-inch nonstick skillet
- Brush one side of each slice of bread with olive oil. Olive oil helps the bread get crispier when cooked.
- Flip the slices over and spread each with some cranberry sauce/jam.
- Slice the cheese of your choice and divide it among sandwiches.
- Top each with ham and remaining bread slices, with the oil sides up.
- In a nonstick skillet, place sandwiches and cook 3-4 minutes per slide until bread is golden brown and cheese is melted.
What kind of cheese can you use for this sandwich:
Cheddar, Emmental, Swiss, Gruyere, Brie, Pepperjack, Provolone.
What kind of ham can you use:
Black Forest Ham, Honey or Maple Ham, Smoked Virginia Ham, Prosciutto, Canadian Bacon.
What kind of jam can you use:
Raspberry, Blueberry, Red/Black Currant, Strawberry, Lingonberry, Rosehip, etc.
What kind of bread:
Artisan Bread, Sourdough Bread, White French Bread, Brioche Bread, Croissant, Whole Wheat Bread
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 675Total Fat: 36gSaturated Fat: 13gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 19gCholesterol: 71mgSodium: 1153mgCarbohydrates: 64gFiber: 3gSugar: 28gProtein: 25g