Looking for a pie that is different from the traditional pumpkin pie for the holidays? Here you have a Cranberry Custard Pie with Cream Cheese Crust that promises to be the star of the desserts on the table.
Cranberries…I love them! I always thought that we should have fresh cranberries available all year round and not only during the Thanksgiving season.
They are versatile and great in so many recipes.
I personally use dried cranberries in all kind of salads and dishes I cook. However, I would love to have more fresh cranberries though.
There are so many recipes I could make, but not enough time during the short season when cranberries are available.
Suggestions for recipes that use cranberries:
How To Make The Cranberry Custard Pie With Cream Cheese Crust:
- For the Crust:
- 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour, plus more for dusting
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, cold, cut into small cubes
- 6 ounces cream cheese, cold, cut into small cubes
- 1 teaspoon white vinegar(or lemon juice)
- 1 tablespoon ice water
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- For The Filling:
- 1 (12 ounces) bag cranberries, slightly thawed if frozen
- 2 tablespoons all purpose flour
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- lemon zest from 1 lemon
- 2/3 cup heavy cream
- Prepare the crust:
- Place flour and salt in a food processor and pulse to combine.
- Add butter and pulse few times until the mixture resembles pea size pieces.
- Add the cream cheese and pulse few more times until the dough comes together.
- Add the vinegar(or the lemon juice)and the ice water. Pulse few more times until the dough is moist.
- Shape the dough into a disk, wrap and refrigerate until firm for at least one hour or overnight.
- Roll out the dough into a 12-inch round. Ease into a 9-inch pie dish. Fold the overhanging dough under itself and crimp with a fork or just your fingers.
- Brush the edge of the dough with egg and refrigerate again until firm, for about 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350F. Line the crust with aluminum foil and place on top pie weights or dried beans.
- Bake until golden around the edge, about 15 minutes. Remove foil and weights and continue baking until the bottom of the crust is dry, 5 more minutes.
- Cool completely before adding the filling.
- Make the filling:
- Chop the cranberries and combine with sugar and lemon zest.
- Whisk the eggs with heavy cream and flour in a bowl until smooth. Pour over the cranberries.
- Add the filling mixture to the crust and bake until the filling is set, 50 minutes to an hour approximately.
- Transfer the pie to a cooling rack and allow it to cool completely.
Breville BFP800XL Sous Chef Food Processor
Professional Pie Server Set - 100% STAINLESS STEEL - Set Includes Cutting Spatula with Serving Knife - Perfect for Serving Cake, Pizza, Pies, Dessert, Lasagna, and More
Talisman Designs Adjustable Pie Crust Shield, BPA-free Silicone, Red, Fits 8.5" - 11.5" Rimmed Dish
Ceramic Pie Plate - Decorative White 9 Inch Stoneware Round Nonstick Lead Free Baking Dish Made in USA
Measuring Cups And Spoons Set - 13 Piece Baking And Cooking Tool Pack, Stainless Steel, Engraved Measurement Markings, Narrow Spoons For Spice Jars | 1/8 Coffee Cup | Bonus Ebook
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 378 Total Fat: 21g Saturated Fat: 12g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 7g Cholesterol: 113mg Sodium: 259mg Carbohydrates: 42g Fiber: 2g Sugar: 23g Protein: 7g