Say hello to this German Riesling Apple Cake. This is an easy, delicious cake that is made with Riesling wine and tart apples. It can also be made for any occasion, including holidays.
I love apples in any form. From salads to desserts, apples can be paired with vegetables, starches and meats.
Apple desserts are popular all over the world and every country has its own versions based on the ingredients available, spices or traditions.
Germany is a big wine producer, especially Riesling wine. I love how this recipe uses this beautiful variety of white wine.
Riesling is perfumed, almost flowery, very aromatic with a high acidity, which makes it perfect to balance the tartness of the apples.
However, even if traditionally this recipe is made with Riesling, you can definitely use some other type of white wine available, or even apple juice if alcohol is not your thing.
Keep in mind that alcohol is cooked out in the recipe, so there is no danger to feed your kids a slice of this beautiful cake.
The recipe has over 2 pounds of apples, it is not overly sweet and goes perfect with a delicious cup of tea or coffee on a Sunday afternoon.
I grew up with my German grandmother’s baking and always loved the simplicity of the recipes and the basic ingredients she used.
Apples from her garden, walnuts from the walnut tree behind her house, eggs from her chickens, nothing was wasted. I will never forget the way she respected food and ingredients.
Desserts were baked every weekend and kept in the pantry for possible guests. My grandmother would have her girlfriends over for a cup of coffee . Cookies, bars or cake were served with it.
I still remember the smell of the fresh coffee which I was not allowed to drink as I was too young and the taste of these wonderful desserts that she was making.
Getting back to our apple cake, I have to say that this recipe is crazy easy.
I used a 10 inch springform baking pan. I like these springform baking pans. I use them in many of my cakes, especially the entremet cakes that I like to make( see here this Chocolate Mousse and Praline Entremet)
After mixing the butter and sugar together, adding eggs, one by one, flour, milk and wine, the apples are finally incorporated into the batter gently.
The cake is then baked for about 45 minutes, then cooled and served. How easy is that?
Do you notice the little pieces of apple inside the cake? They are D.E.L.I.C.I.O.U.S.! I really hope you try it! It is not a fancy dessert, but elegant enough to be served for the holidays.
Suggestions of recipes with apples:
- 7 Tablespoons/3.5 ounces/100g unsalted butter at room temperature
- 1 cup/7 ounces/200g Demerara sugar or light brown sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 2 3/4 cups/12.3 ounces/350 g all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 cup/4.4 fl.oz/125ml milk
- 1/2 cup4.4 fl.oz/125 ml white wine
- 2.5 pounds apples
- 1 teaspoon of butter and a teaspoon of flour for the baking pan
- Preheat oven to 375F/190C.
- Butter and flour a 10inches/26 cm springform baking pan.
- Peel the apples, core and chop them in small cubes. Place them in a bowl and set aside.
- Using a hand mixer beat butter and sugar together until smooth and fluffy, about 10 minutes.
- Add the eggs, one by one, mixing to incorporate each egg before adding the next.
- Add the flour mixed with the baking powder, then add milk and wine and mix well.
- Add the apples and fold them in the batter gently.
- Pour the batter in the prepared pan and bake the cake for about 45 minutes.
- Cool on a rack and serve.
Wilton Excelle Elite Non-Stick Springform Pan, 10-Inch
KitchenAid KHM512ER 5-Speed Ultra Power Hand Mixer, Empire Red
Measuring Cups And Spoons Set - 13 Piece Baking And Cooking Tool Pack, Stainless Steel, Engraved Measurement Markings, Narrow Spoons For Spice Jars | 1/8 Coffee Cup | Bonus Ebook
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 139 Total Fat: 9g Saturated Fat: 5g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 3g Cholesterol: 66mg Sodium: 68mg Carbohydrates: 15g Fiber: 2g Sugar: 10g Protein: 2g