This is an awesome winter salad and one of my favorites. I love everything about it, the textures, the flavors and how colorful it is. Some of the easiest recipes on my blog, the salad uses ingredients that many of us have in the pantry. It is also full of vitamins and fiber, something that we all need, especially in the winter. Red cabbage is an inexpensive and super versatile veggie that makes a great option for any meal of the day.
I made this salad one night for dinner and served it with pork and roasted pumpkin. Sometimes I serve it with roasted vegetables for a light meal. It goes great with grilled or roasted meats, sausages etc. You can also skip other ingredients and just make it simple using the same dressing.
Overall, it is a delicious option for the entire family! Enjoy!
- ½ head medium red cabbage
- 1 red onion sliced julienne
- 1-2 medium apples your choice
- ¼ cup chopped walnuts
- ¼ cup golden raisins
- 4 Tbsp vinegar(or balsamic vinegar)
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tsp sugar
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- Shred the cabbage.
- Chop the onion and apples.
- In a medium salad bowl place the cabbage, apples, and onion together.
- Add the walnuts and the raisins and mix to combine.
- Grab a little jar with a lid and put oil, vinegar, salt, pepper and sugar in it. Close the lid and shake the jar until you have a vinaigrette.
- Pour the vinaigrette over the cabbage and mix well.
- Goes well with pork or beef.