Cabbage puff pastries triangles is a recipe made with puff pastry filled with cooked cabbage and optional bacon. This recipe is great for parties.
Today, I am going to give you a recipe for cabbage puff pastry triangles, that is very easy to make and can satisfy a crowd, vegetarians or not. Make them for a party and these heavenly pastries are going to be the stars on the table. If you want to make them non vegetarian, add some bacon when you cook the cabbage. Yum!
Filled pastries are very popular in Eastern Europe. It is a versatile snack that can be savory or sweet. You can have it for breakfast, or lunch(if you pair it with a salad, for example). I am sure the ones who traveled not only in Eastern Europe, but all over Europe, they noticed that every corner of the street has a little pastry shop that will offer a multitude of bake goods from pretzels to pies and pastries.
Some of them are so popular that people are waiting in line for them. It is a “on the go” type of meal when you run around the city with business. It is also a very cheap way of eating.
HOW TO MAKE THE CABBAGE PUFF PASTRY TRIANGLES:
Defrost the puff pastry. I used a package of already made puff pastry that you can find in any grocery store. Do not let it sit at room temperature more than 40 minutes. It will be hard to work with it.
While the puff pastry is defrosting, chop the onion and shred the cabbage. Grab a skillet and heat up a little bit of oil. Add the chopped onion. Saute until translucent, then add the shredded cabbage, salt and pepper and cook until soft. If you want to add bacon, this is the time to do it. Cook the bacon first, then add the onion and the cabbage to it.
Set aside and let cool a little bit.
Meanwhile, on a floured surface roll out the puff pastry sheet and cut it to squares of the desired size. Place a spoonful of cabbage in the middle, fold and close with the help of a fork or fingers.
Brush them with beaten egg(use a pastry brush) and bake the pastries at 400F for 15-17 minutes or until golden brown.
Make sure you don’t burn your tongue trying to munch on them right out of the oven! They are VERY HOT! Otherwise, enjoy !
The Bossy Kitchen Group on Facebook is a community of people who share the passion for cooking and baking and where everyone is welcome to share ideas, tips and culinary experiences. Click HERE if you would like to join!
- ½ medium cabbage shredded
- 1 large onion chopped
- salt and pepper to taste
- ½ teaspoon dried dill
- 3-4 Tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 package puff pastry
- 1 egg for brushing the pastry
- Preheat oven to 400F.
- Defrost the puff pastry for no more than 40 minutes at room temperature.
- In a pan heat up the oil and add the chopped onion.
- Cook until the onion becomes translucent.
- Add the shredded cabbage and cook until soft.
- Add salt and pepper to your taste.
- Optional: Add dill.
- Set aside and let cool for few minutes.
- Roll out the puff pastry sheet and cut it into squares of the desired size.
- Place a spoonful of cabbage in the middle, fold and close with the help of a fork or fingers.
- Brush the pastries with beaten egg and place them on a baking pan lined with parchment paper.
- Bake the pastries for 15-17 minutes or until golden brown at 400F.