Cabbage puff pastry triangles is a recipe made with puff pastry filled with cooked cabbage and optional bacon. This recipe is great for parties.
Pastries filled with cabbage- bacon is optional.
Today, I will give you a recipe for cabbage puff pastry triangles that is very easy to make and can satisfy a crowd, vegetarians or not.
Make them for a party, and these heavenly pastries will be the stars on the table. If you want to make them nonvegetarian, add some bacon when you cook the cabbage. Yum!
Filled pastries are very popular in Eastern Europe. It is a versatile snack that can be savory or sweet. You can have it for breakfast or lunch(if you pair it with a salad, for example).
I am sure the ones who traveled to Eastern Europe and all over Europe noticed that every corner of the street had a little pastry shop that would offer a multitude of baked goods, from pretzels to pies and pastries.
Some of them are so popular that people wait in line for them. It is an “on the go” meal when you run around the city with business. It is also a very cheap way of eating.
HOW TO MAKE THE CABBAGE PUFF PASTRY TRIANGLES:
I bet that if you are here on this page, you have some frozen puff pastry in the freezer, and you need to do something with it.
Step 1– Defrost the puff pastry.
One advice I have for defrosting the puff pastry is to not forget about it on the counter.
Ideally, it should sit at room temperature for no more than 40 minutes; otherwise, it will be hard to work with it.
Step 2– Make the filling.
While the puff pastry is defrosting, chop the onion and shred the cabbage. Grab a skillet and heat up a little bit of oil.
Add the chopped onion. Saute until translucent, then add the shredded cabbage, salt, and pepper and cook until soft.
If you want to add bacon, this is the time to do it. Cook the bacon first, then add the onion and the cabbage to it.
Set aside and let cool a little bit.
Step 3- get the puff pastry ready for filling.
Meanwhile, roll out the puff pastry sheet on a floured surface and cut it into squares of the desired size.
Step 4- Make the pastries.
Place a spoonful of cabbage in the middle, fold and close with the help of a fork or fingers.
Step 5- Bake the pastries.
Brush them with beaten egg (use a pastry brush) and bake the pastries at 400F for 15-17 minutes or until golden brown.
Make sure you don’t burn your tongue trying to munch on them right out of the oven! They are VERY HOT! Otherwise, enjoy!
Are you interested in more puff pastry recipes? Here is my collection of pastries made with this delicious type of dough.
- 17.25oz-package puff pastry(I used Pepperidge Farm Frozen Puff Pastry Sheets)
- 1/2 medium cabbage shredded
- 1 large onion chopped
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon dried dill
- 3-4 Tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 egg for brushing the pastry
- Preheat oven to 400F.
- Defrost the puff pastry for no more than 40 minutes at room temperature.
- In a pan heat up the oil and add the chopped onion.
- Cook until the onion becomes translucent.
- Add the shredded cabbage and cook until soft.
- Add salt and pepper to your taste.
- Optional: Add dill.
- Set aside and let cool for few minutes.
- Roll out the puff pastry sheet and cut it into squares of the desired size.
- Place a spoonful of cabbage in the middle, fold and close with the help of a fork or fingers.
- Brush the pastries with beaten egg and place them on a baking pan lined with parchment paper.
- Bake the pastries for 15-17 minutes or until golden brown at 400F.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 203Total Fat: 15gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 12gCholesterol: 13mgSodium: 106mgCarbohydrates: 15gFiber: 1gSugar: 1gProtein: 3g