Sausage Pumpkin Pinwheels Appetizers – an excellent recipe for parties or potlucks around the holidays.
Easy to make, this recipe uses just a few ingredients, like puff pastry, sausages, pumpkin puree, cheese, and green onions. Delicious and perfect! Enjoy!
This recipe of Sausage Pumpkin Pinwheels Appetizers is excellent for a party. I would also make these appetizers whenever I am in the mood for a snack.
Just give me some puff pastry, and I can make a million things with it. It is versatile, and you can make sweet or savory things without problems.
I made them for the Friday night dinner after Thanksgiving, then served and watched them disappear from the plate. “Delicious!” said everyone!
It makes a great appetizer in the fall when the pumpkin is in season, but if you are in the mood for these delicious little pastries and you find a can of pumpkin puree in the grocery store outside the season, you are good to go.
What ingredients we need for this recipe:
- Puff pastry
We will use frozen puff pastry sheets, defrosted according to the instructions on the box.
Mild Italian sausage is what I like to use, but you can use any sausage you have or want.
- Pumpkin puree
You do not need an entire can of pumpkin puree, but you can use leftover pumpkin puree from other recipes.
You need a melting cheese like Cheddar cheese, Cheddar, Gruyere, Mozzarella, Fontina, Provolone, etc.
- Green onions
We use green onions to bring color, flavor, and texture to the pinwheels.
How to make these fantastic and easy pumpkin sausage pinwheels:
Preheat the oven.
Prepare the baking sheets by lining them with parchment paper or silicone mats.
Cook the sausage. You can peel the casing and cook the sausage meat until crumbly or dice it and cook it like that. Remove the sausage from the pan and drain it on paper towels.
Flour the working surface and unroll the puff pastry.
Spread each puff pastry sheet with equal amounts of pumpkin puree. Sprinkle the cooked sausage, chopped green onions, and shredded cheese.
Roll each puff pastry into a log and seal the seams, so the filling doesn’t come out. Cut the logs into 12 slices each.
Place the pinwheels on the baking sheet with some space in between and bake until lightly browned. Allow them to cool before you serve them.
Can I make them in advance?
Yes, you can. Assemble them the night before and refrigerate them in an airtight container until you are ready to bake them.
Can I freeze them unbaked?
Yes, you can freeze them for up to two months. Freeze them on the baking sheets first, then place them in freezer-safe bags for up to a month.
When ready to bake, just preheat the oven and place them on the baking sheet. Bake them for a minute or two longer than the recipe requires. (as they are frozen and need more time in the oven).
A few suggestions for Thanksgiving recipes:
Thanksgiving side dish recipes to make in advance:
- 1 box frozen puff pastry sheets, defrosted according to the instructions(17.25oz)
- 3 oz mild Italian sausage or any favorite one, uncooked
- 7 tablespoons pumpkin puree
- 1 cup shredded melting cheese like Cheddar, Gruyere, Mozzarella, Fontina, Provolone
- 2-3 tablespoons chopped green onion
- Preheat the oven to 375F.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone mat and set it aside.
- Cut the sausage into small pieces and cook it in a small pan over medium heat, stirring until browned for approximately 5 minutes. Let drain on a paper towel and set it aside.
- Lightly flour the table and unroll the puff pastry sheets.
- Spread each sheet with pumpkin puree. Sprinkle the sausage over the pumpkin puree, and add cheese and green onions. Gently press the ingredients into the pastry.
- Roll each sheet like a log, ensuring the seams are sealed. Cut the log into 12 slices.
- Place each pinwheel on the baking sheet leaving about 2 inches between each piece. Bake them at 375F for about 17-18 minutes or until lightly browned. Let them slightly cool before serving.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 104Total Fat: 8gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 18mgSodium: 171mgCarbohydrates: 2gFiber: 0gSugar: 1gProtein: 6g