With the holiday season upon us, it's time to think about those perfect snacks and gifts everyone adores. My Sweet And Spicy Roasted Nuts recipe is just what you need, as it is a great holiday gift and an ideal cocktail nibble for your holiday parties. Packed with cayenne pepper and maple syrup flavors, these quick and easy-to-make nuts are a guaranteed hit.
This recipe is part of my collections of Thanksgiving and Christmas recipes, where you can find many dishes to make for these glorious holidays that we all love. You will find easy and delicious appetizers like these Sausage Pumpkin Pinwheels Appetizers, Deviled Ham Stuffed Eggs, or Cheddar-Curry Cheese Straws.
💝Why you will love these sweet and spicy roasted nuts
This easy party nuts recipe is not just a great way to treat yourself but also makes for a great holiday gift. These nuts are roasted to perfection using simple ingredients like a mix of your favorite raw nuts, real maple syrup, and a spice mixture of sea salt, cayenne pepper, and red pepper flakes.
📝 Ingredients you need
This is a list of the main ingredients used in this recipe. For amounts and instructions, make sure you check out the recipe card at the end of this article.
Unsalted, Raw Mixed Nuts And Seed:
- Nuts: Almonds, walnuts, pecans, cashews, peanuts, hazelnuts, Brazil nuts, macadamia nuts, pistachios. You can choose two to three different nuts for a mix, like almonds, hazelnuts, and cashews, or pecans, pistachios, and macadamia nuts.
- Seeds (Optional): Pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds.
- Maple syrup – for a natural, rich sweetness. Use real maple syrup for a better taste and flavor.
- Honey – adds a smooth, sweet flavor.
- Sea salt – kosher salt works well, too.
- Crushed red pepper flakes – for a spicy kick.
- Cayenne pepper – enhances the spicy notes.
- Extra virgin olive oil – for a rich, smooth coating.
👩🍳 How to make Sweet And Spicy Roasted Nuts
- Step 1. Roasting the Nuts: Preheat the oven to 350F (180C). Spread the mixture of raw nuts in an even layer on a sheet pan lined with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat, and toast them in the oven for about 10 minutes.
- Step 2. Make the syrup: In a small saucepan, combine the maple syrup, honey, salt, chili flakes, and cayenne powder. Stir the mixture over medium-high heat for 2-3 minutes to dissolve the salt and achieve a smooth syrup.
- Step 3. Add Olive Oil: Whisk in the olive oil to emulsify the mixture. Turn off the heat and let the mixture sit for 5 minutes to steep the flavors from the spices.
- Step 4. Coating the Nuts: Pour the mixture over the roasted nuts. Mix well.
- Step 5. Final roasting: Return the nuts to the oven and roast for another 10 minutes, stirring after 5 minutes to ensure even coating.
- Step 6. Cooling And Storing: Remove from the oven and allow to cool on the pan. Once cool, break up into small clusters and serve.
💡 Expert tips
- Choosing the Nuts: Select a variety of unsalted nuts for a blend of flavors and textures. Ensure they're raw, not pre-roasted, to control the roasting process and flavors.
- Maple Syrup Matters: Use real maple syrup for the best flavor. It adds a natural sweetness that pairs wonderfully with the spicy elements.
- Spice it Right: Adjust the amount of cayenne and red pepper flakes according to your taste. Remember, a little goes a long way with these spicy flavors.
- Watch the Oven: Keep an eye on the nuts during the second roasting. You want them perfectly toasted, not burnt.
- Storing: Store the cooled nuts in an airtight container to maintain freshness.
🗃️ How to Store these spicy roasted nuts
Once cooled to room temperature, store these delicious nuts in an airtight container or ziplock bags for up to 2 weeks, making them a perfect snack for those unexpected guests or a quick treat for yourself.
🍽️ Serving Suggestions
This recipe is a keeper for your recipe card collection and a delightful addition to the holiday table, bringing a touch of warmth and spice to your festive gatherings. Serve the nuts in a large bowl for guests to nibble on, or pack them in a cute container as a great holiday gift.
Here are some appetizer ideas that would complement these nuts beautifully:
- Cheese Platter and a Fruit Tray: A selection of cheeses, like brie, cheddar, and gouda, paired with a platter of fresh fruits such as grapes, sliced apples, or berries might work well.
- Crackers and Spreads: Assorted crackers with various spreads like hummus, fig jam, or Cranberry Cream Cheese Dip make for a great combination.
- Mini Quiches or Tartlets: Bite-sized quiches or tartlets with various fillings provide a rich and savory counterpoint to the spicy nuts.
🙋♀️ Recipe Faqs
Absolutely! Just ensure they're spread in an even layer on the sheet pan for uniform roasting, or use more pans.
Yes, they make a great holiday gift. Package them in a decorative jar or festive bag for a personal touch.
Of course! Modify the amount of cayenne pepper and chili flakes to suit your desired spice level.
These nuts are a perfect snack for any occasion. Remember, think of these Sweet And Spicy Roasted Nuts next time you're looking for a quick, easy recipe with simple ingredients.
They're not just great for the holiday season but a delightful treat any time of the year. Happy holidays, and enjoy your new favorite holiday snack!
More recipes to love
Craving more? Subscribe to The Bossy Kitchen to get new recipes and a newsletter delivered straight to your inbox! Stay in touch on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, and Instagram for all of the latest updates. Don't forget to use the star rating and leave a review.
Sweet And Spicy Roasted Nuts
- 4 cups mixture of favorite raw, unsalted nuts like almonds, cashews, walnuts, pecans, peanuts, cashews etc
- ¼ cup maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons honey
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- ⅛ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Line a sheet pan with parchment paper and spread the mixture of nuts over the pan.
- Toast in the oven for 10 minutes.
- Combine maple syrup, honey, salt, chili flakes, and cayenne powder in a small saucepan. Stir over medium-high heat to dissolve the salt and obtain a smooth syrup, for about 2-3 minutes.
- Add olive oil and whisk to emulsify. Turn off the heat. Let sit for 5 minutes to steep the flavors out of the spices.
- Pour mix over roasted nuts. Mix well in the pan. Return coated nuts to oven and roast another 10 minutes, stirring after 5 minutes.
- Remove and cool on pan. Once cool, break up into small clusters.
- Store in a ziplock or airtight container for up to 2 weeks.
- 🌡️ Storage: Best kept in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 2 weeks.
- 🥜 Nut Varieties: Feel free to mix and match your favorite nuts. Just ensure they're raw and unsalted.
- 🔥 Spice Level: Adjust cayenne and red pepper flakes to taste for more or less heat.
- 🍯 Sweetness: The combination of maple syrup and honey can be tweaked according to your preference.
- 🎁 Gifting Idea: Package in decorative jars for a thoughtful and delicious holiday gift.
- 🌿 Serving Suggestion: Perfect as an appetizer or alongside a cheese platter.
- 🍽️ Next Day Treat: Even more flavorful the day after making, as the spices meld together.