Savory Feta and Black Caraway Pastries are a great appetizer or snack to have around. Very easy to make, these pastries will win your heart in no time! The mild saltiness of the cheese and the aromatic with a peppery bite black caraway seeds make these pastries delicious.
I wrote on the blog some while ago another recipe for pastries made with farmers cheese.
Today, I thought that you might like to try another beautiful recipe and a favorite in my house, so I present you pastries filled with Feta cheese and caraway.
If you visit Romania and especially Bucharest, the capital of the country where I grew up, you will find small bakeries with wonderful pastries at every corner of the street.
There are so many bakeries and pastry businesses that you cannot even imagine.
Pretzels, savory pastries filled with cheese, meat, sausages or hot dogs, or sweet ones filled with apples, pumpkin or farmer’s cheese, to just mention a few of them.
There are options for everyone and for every taste.
However, there is nothing better than home made pastries. You can have them as appetizers, but they are perfect for any meal during the day.
In the past, I used to be afraid to work with puff pastry, but I discovered how easy it is, and since then, I love making all kinds of pastries with it.
How to make these Savory Feta and Black Caraway Pastries:
You will need to thaw the puff pastry first. For this recipe in particular, I used puff pastry squares that were approximately 5×5 inches each.
However, sheets of puff pastry are easy to find in the grocery stores, so you can cut them the same size.
Then, preheat the oven to 400F/200C.
The filling is made with only two ingredients, feta cheese and egg. My favorite feta is made with sheep or goat milk, but cow milk feta is fine too.
Beat the egg with a fork in a bowl. Crumble the feta and add it to the egg to make the filling.
Place a dollop of the cheese mixture in the middle of each pastry, then fold the dough like a triangle or just in two, as you prefer.
With a fork, seal the pastry together, so the cheese doesn’t come out while baking.
Place the pastries on a baking tray.
Beat an egg and brush the top of each pastry with it.
Sprinkle black caraway seeds on each pastry and bake at 400F for about 20-25 minutes or until golden brown.
Serve warm or cold.
They are great even the next day, but I assure you, you will not have any leftovers. They are delicious!
Are you interested in more puff pastry recipes? Here you have a collection of some of my favorite recipes I have on the blog.
Or maybe you want to join The Bossy Kitchen community group where you can share your creations made from this blog or from other sources. Everyone is welcome to join!
- 17.3 oz (1 package) Puff Pastry Sheets thawed
- 8 oz Feta Cheese
- 1 large egg for the cheese mixture
- 1 large egg for brushing the pastries
- 2 tablespoons black caraway seeds
- Optional: 2-4 tablespoons fresh dill or 1 teaspoon dried dill
- Preheat oven to 400F.
- Defrost the puff pastry for about 40-45 minutes and use it while still cold.
- If you use regular puff pastry sheets, cut the pastry in aprox. 5x5 inches squares.
- In a medium bowl, place the feta cheese and mash it with a fork.
- Add the egg and mix well.
- Place a dollop of the cheese mixture in the middle of the puff pastry squares and fold the pastry in half or as a triangle.
- Use a fork to seal the pastry around.
- Place each pastry on a parchment paper covered baking sheet.
- Brush each pastry with the other egg and sprinkle them with black caraway seeds.
- Bake at 400F/200C for about 20-25 minutes or until golden brown.
- Serve warm or cold.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 396Total Fat: 22gSaturated Fat: 13gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 7gCholesterol: 86mgSodium: 480mgCarbohydrates: 39gFiber: 2gSugar: 14gProtein: 10g