This authentic traditional Turkish coffee recipe is my favorite one when it comes to drinking coffee.
The exceptional taste, body, aroma, and preparation makes Turkish coffee far superior to any other coffee out there.
You might want to challenge me on this one, but unless you tried it and did not like it, you should just trust me.
I grew up with this coffee, so I know my stuff. 🙂
HOW TO MAKE Turkish coffee:
- First of all, it is prepared in an ibrik, a small coffee pot with a long handle, but any other pot would serve the purpose.
- The sugar is added during the brewing process, not after. Of course, this can be adjusted based on the preferences, but the traditional one is made with sugar.
- Milk and cream are never served with Turkish coffee.
- The coffee is ground to a fine powder and it should sink to the bottom of the cup.
- The Turkish coffee is served hot in small cups.
ALSO, and this is a very important note: Traditional AUTHENTIC Turkish coffee DOES NOT HAVE cardamon in it, as I noticed on all kinds of very successful sites out there. The coffee with cardamon is popular in most Arabic countries, Syria, Irak, Iran etc, but not in Turkey.
WHAT YOU NEED:
Few things before you start making the coffee. Turkish coffee is made with water, sugar, and coffee in a pot on the stove. The sugar and the coffee are added at the beginning of the brewing process without stirring.
The whole idea is to obtain a natural thick frothing on top of your coffee and this is achieved by letting the coffee brew on low heat until it gets closer to the boiling point, WITHOUT boiling it.
Traditional Turkish Coffee is not boiled. However, the pot needs to be watched all time as it goes from not boiling to boiling very fast.
When you see the brew “rising”, move the pot away from the heat immediately.
The process is very easy and the results are incredible. Once you discover Turkish Coffee, your life will change forever!
Turkish coffee is much stronger/concentrated than filtered coffee, so it is not customary to drink more than one cup.
It is usually served with some sweet treat, cookies, candy, chocolates or Turkish delights.
I hope you will give it a try!
- Using a coffee cup, measure the amount of water you will need. One coffee cup water /person. Pour the water into the ibrik or pot.
- Add one teaspoon sugar for each cup and place the pot on the stove. Do not stir.
- Also, add the coffee(1-2 heap teaspoon/cup) in the pot and also DO NOT STIR. Just let the coffee "float" on the surface because if you stir it now you might cause it to clump up.
- Place your pot of water on the stove and turn the heat to medium-high.
- When the coffee starts to sink into the water and the water is warm enough to dissolve your sugar, stir it several times and then turn down the heat to low.
- From this point on, watch your coffee carefully. Do not let the temperature get hot enough to start boiling.
- The key idea is to let the coffee build a "thick froth" and that occurs approximately around 158 F or 70 C, which is much cooler than the boiling point.
- (If your brew comes to a boil, you will not have any foam).
- If your brew gets too hot and begins to "rise", then move it away from the heat or just turn it down. You are almost done.
- Pour the coffee into your cups (quickly at first to get out the foam, then slowly) while making sure that each cup has an equal amount of foam!)
- If you are serving several cups then you might be better off spooning the foam into each cup first.
- The Turkish coffee is enjoyed sip by sip with various sweet desserts.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Thickest Premier Engraved Solid Copper Turkish Greek Arabic Coffee Pot Stovetop Coffee Maker Cezve Ibrik Briki with Wooden Handle, Thick 1,5 mm (Medium - 8 Oz)
Kurukahveci Mehmet Efendi Turkish Coffee, 17.6 oz
YOLIFE Red Rose Pattern Ivory Ceramic Cups and Saucers Set,Fancy Coffee Cups Set of 6 with Golden Metal Rack
Turkish Handmade Copper Coffee Salt Pepper Spice Grinder Mill (22cm, Gold)
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 16Total Fat: 0gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 0gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 10mgCarbohydrates: 4gFiber: 0gSugar: 4gProtein: 0g