This is an old family recipe of an easy cocoa liqueur you can make before holidays. It makes a great, cheap gift for your family and friends.
If you never made liqueur before, the process is a very non complicated one. It is like canning but much more easier. If you are thinking that you will be able to drink the liqueur right away, you are here for a big disappointment. The liqueur needs to sit in a dark, cool place for about 14 days and has to be shaken every day. After that, you have to filter it. Then, the liqueur needs to age for about a month, so if you plan to have it ready for the holidays, this is the time when you have to make it, so it has enough time to age.
Use quality cocoa powder, it will make a difference in taste and the final product.
- 500 g sugar
- 600 ml water
- 50 g raw cocoa powder
- 400 ml alcohol(vodka or Everclear)
- Mix the sugar with water and cocoa and bring to a boil over medium heat stirring occasionally.
- Reduce the heat to low and simmer until the cocoa is dissolved and the mixture thickens up slightly.
- Remove from the stove and cool at room temperature.
- Add the alcohol to the mixture.
- Pour the mixture into bottles and cover tightly.
- Keep in a cool, dark place for about 14 days and shake the bottles vigorously everyday.
- Strain liqueur through a cheese cloth or a wet coffee filter. The residue will be very thick so change filter halfway through.
- Pour in clean bottles and cover tightly. Let it age for at least a month in a cool, dark place.