Summer is here, and the need for a good cold drink is acute. This cucumber ginger lavender lemonade is easy to make, refreshing, and fits the purpose.
It is only the end of June, but the temperatures are high for this time of year.
At almost 100F, being outside is fun only if you do it very early in the morning or at night. This is the time to praise the air conditioning!
Lemonade is a mandatory drink we need to have in the fridge during this heat wave.
This recipe shows you how to make a delicious drink using simple ingredients, like a cooling cucumber, ginger, perfumed and summery lavender, and honey that brings sweetness and brightness to this lemonade.
The sweet and sour taste hits the spot every time I make this awesome drink.
What you need for this Cucumber Ginger Lavender Lemonade:
- Fresh water
- Lemons– we will use the juice and also slices of lemon
- Cucumbers– any type you have available- I’m not too fond of the waxy, thick cucumbers with lots of seeds, though, but I do like the English cucumbers and the garden small, young cucumbers that you do not need to peel. It is cooling and perfect for the recipe.
- Fresh ginger– it is wildly available in the grocery stores, and you need just a small root for the recipe
- Lavender– I used dried lavender, the culinary one, and used a little bit of it. The lavender amount is small, as we just want to flavor the lemonade. Add more, and it will taste like soap. If you find fresh lavender or you grow it in your garden, use that, you need just a few fresh flowers.
- Honey– the combination of lemon and honey is a divine one but if you don’t have some good honey, use sugar or agave, or whatever you want to sweeten it. I will not give you a measure for the honey because this is a matter of preference and taste. Put enough honey to make the lemonade pleasant.
- Ice cubes
- Optional: Mint – not mandatory, but adds a nice touch to the complex taste of the lemonade.
How to make the lemonade:
Wash all the ingredients really well. I usually scrub the lemons, as I want to make sure there is no wax on them.
Otherwise, I just buy organic ones, so I can feel comfortable using the lemon peel in my dishes.
Scrub the cucumbers and the ginger. Gather all the ingredients together.
Slice the cucumbers very thin, without peeling them. Do the same thing with the ginger. Slice half lemon, also thin.
In a large pitcher, place the slices of ginger, cucumber, lemon and add the dried lavender. Squeeze the rest of the lemons and pour the juice over the other ingredients.
Add water and ice and mix well. The last step is to add honey as much as you like to make it pleasantly sweet.
If you are trying to stay away from sugar in general, you can skip the honey entirely or add other sweeteners.
Optional, add a few mint leaves. Place the pitcher in the refrigerator and allow the ingredients to flavor the water, and get friendly with each other for about 15-20 minutes before you serve it.
The best part of this recipe is the variations you can play around with:
- Are you planning a party and would like to transform this lemonade into a cocktail? Add some gin, vodka, or even tequila to it.
- You can dip the rim of the glasses in lemon juice, then salt and add tequila to your lemonade! Absolutely divine!
- Add sparkly water or mineral water instead of regular, and make this lemonade fizzy.
- Skip the ginger and add pieces of melon, watermelon, or both. You can also add berries, like raspberries or blueberries, to it.
This is a perfect lemonade that you will find yourself making over and over again for parties and picnics.
Interested in other summer recipes? Try these recipes:
- 4 cups fresh cold water
- 2 large lemons
- 1 medium cucumber
- 3 inches long piece of fresh ginger root
- 1 teaspoon edible dried lavender
- 1/4 cup honey or to taste
- Optional: few fresh mint leaves
- ice cubes for serving
- Gather all the ingredients together.
- Scrub the cucumber and the ginger.
- Slice the cucumber very thin, without peeling it. Do the same thing with the ginger. Do not peel the ginger.
- Slice half lemon, also thin.
- In a large pitcher, place the slices of ginger, cucumber, lemon and add the dried lavender.
- Squeeze the rest of the lemons and pour the juice over the other ingredients.
- Add water and ice and mix well.
- Add honey and mix well.
- If you are trying to stay away from sugar in general, you can skip the honey entirely.
- Optional, add few mint leaves. Place the pitcher in the refrigerator and allow the ingredients to get friendly with each other for about 15-20 minutes before you serve it.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Organic Lavender Flowers Dried - Perfect for Tea, Baking, Lemonade, DIY Beauty, Sachets & Fresh Fragrance - 100% Raw From France - Large 4oz Resealable Bag - by Feel Good Organics
8 Inch Chef Knife
Large Walnut Wood Cutting Board by Virginia Boys Kitchens - 17x11 American Hardwood Chopping and Carving Countertop Block with Juice Drip Groove
Large Airtight Pitcher
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 88Total Fat: 0gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 0gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 13mgCarbohydrates: 24gFiber: 2gSugar: 19gProtein: 1g