These Lemon Lavender Butter Cookies could make an excellent gift for family and friends! Bake them in the winter, and they will bring summer closer to you.
The cookies are also perfect on a Sunday afternoon, munching on them in the garden next to a delicious tea, but how perfect could they be for a bridal or baby shower?
They are light and have this hint of lavender that is delicate and delicious. The cookies are also not very sweet.
I like the combination of lavender, butter, and lemon, and I also like that they are not glazed, filled with something, or iced.
I like the recipe as it is simple, delicious, herbal, and elegant.
It might be precisely what you need to make when winter has no end in sight. If you live in a colder climate as I do, winters are long, like almost seven months long, so these cookies will definitely bring joy during these times.
I like cookies with coffee, but I like these cookies, particularly with lavender tea or lemon tea. I really recommend finding good quality tea for them.
Then, you might ask where you can find dried lavender that is also edible? Well, in your garden, of course!
Oh wait, you don’t have a garden? Many grocery stores carry dried lavender, but you can also order it online. Get the lavender here.
A few notes before you start baking:
To make the cookies, you don’t need a lot of fancy ingredients besides the dried lavender. However, before you start baking, make sure you mise en place first.
Mise en place means that you need to gather your ingredients first and make sure you have everything you need and in the right amount.
There is nothing more annoying than mixing butter with sugar, realizing that you have no flour or eggs or something else that cannot be skipped in the recipe.
Then, make sure the butter is at room temperature. If it is not, place it in the microwave for 20 seconds. If it is not soft, you will not be able to beat it with sugar properly.
Add the egg, zest of the lemon, flour, baking powder, a pinch of salt, and the dried lavender.
Shape the dough into a bowl, wrap it in plastic foil and place it in the refrigerator for 30 minutes.
This step will help your cookies keep their shape when you bake them. Play with the shapes.
This step gives you the freedom to cut the cookies in the shape you want. Just make sure that they are more or less the same size in shape, so they bake all at the same time.
PIN THIS FOR LATER:
Also, don’t overbake them. They have to be a light brown color around the edges, but not more than that.
Finally, enjoy the recipe and let me know your thoughts. If you like cookies with herbs, you might like this recipe for Olive Oil Lemon Cookies With Herbs.
Is this cookie a shortbread cookie?
No, it is not. As a rule, shortbread is a traditional Scottish biscuit usually made from one part sugar, two parts butter, and three parts flour. My recipe is different.
- 1 cup/4.4oz/125g powdered sugar OR 5/8 cup/4.4oz/125g granulated sugar
- 2/3 cup/10 1/2 tablespoons/5.2 oz/150 g unsalted butter at room temperature
- 1 large egg
- Zest from 1 lemon
- 2 cups/8.8oz/250 g all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon edible dried lavender
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Beat the butter with the sugar until smooth and fluffy.
- Add the egg and lemon zest and keep mixing.
- Incorporate flour, baking powder, salt, and lavender.
- Shape the dough into a ball with your hands, wrap it in plastic foil and refrigerate it for 30 mins.
- Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 350F.
- Remove the dough from the refrigerator. Using a rolling pin, roll dough to a 1/2 inch thickness. Cut cookies in any shape you want with a cookie cutter.
- Re-roll the scraps and continue cutting the dough into cookies until you finish the batch.
- Place the cookies on a baking tray and bake them at 350F for 12-14 minutes or until they are golden brown around the edges. They should remain white on top.
- Remove from the oven, allow them to cool on the tray for 5 minutes, then place them on a cooling rack. They keep fresh for few days in an air-tight container.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 537Total Fat: 54gSaturated Fat: 33gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 18gCholesterol: 149mgSodium: 53mgCarbohydrates: 15gFiber: 0gSugar: 6gProtein: 2g