I discovered these coffee flavored sugar cookies during one of my vacations in Romania few years ago. I just loved the cookies. I had no idea these simple sugar cookies flavored with coffee could be that good.
I always thought that sugar cookies are pretty boring and I was not quite into them, but coffee flavored sugar cookies are something else! If you love coffee, it is mandatory to try them. They are a delicious sweet treat to enjoy with a tall glass of milk, a cup of tea or, obviously, coffee (you should try my delicious Turkish coffee recipe) They also make an awesome gift to any coffee lover, especially around holidays. I think they would make a great addition to a party, graduation, wedding shower or anything in between.
The cookies are easy to make, after all, these are sugar cookies that most people can put together even if they are not experienced bakers. The secret is always in good quality ingredients, time in the oven and love.
For this recipe I used instant coffee. I like using instant coffee in baking. It is soluble, which makes it easier to incorporate in the recipe, has a fragrant coffee taste and perfect for a lot of recipes. I always have a jar in the pantry, just for baking.
These cookies are elegant, simple and not very sweet. The hint of coffee is subtle, yet enough to bring pleasure to your taste buds. Overall, a great recipe that is modest enough to get forgotten, but as soon as you discover it, it will stay in your collection of recipes for ever.
Or maybe you want to join The Bossy Kitchen community group where you can share your creations made from this blog or from other sources. Everyone is welcome to join!
I hope you will enjoy the coffee flavored sugar cookies as much as we did!
- 8 oz/2 sticks butter room temperature
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 cup powder sugar
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 Tablespoon milk
- 3 cups all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon instant coffee(+2 tsp water to dissolve)
- options for flavors: 1 tsp cinnamon
- or 1 teaspoon vanilla to flavor the cookies
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Dissolve the instant coffee in a little bit of water(2 tsps)
- With a mixer beat the butter, yolks, powder sugar, salt, milk and the coffee until smooth.
- Add the flour, baking powder and make a dough.
- Place the dough covered in plastic wrap, in the fridge for about 30 minutes.
- Take the dough out, place it on a floured surfaces, roll it about ¼ inch thick.
- Cut the cookies in any shape you want.
- Bake them on a parchment paper covered cookie sheet at 350F for 12 minutes.
- Instead of coffee, you can use cinnamon, or vanilla.