The recipe of super easy green peas is an “easy-peasy” one! Perfect for a quick dinner served with a favorite piece of meat.
Soooo, how do you like your peas? How do you make them? Do you have a love-hate relationship with them? I personally love them.
I use peas in many recipes of soups, salads or as a side dish. I have more access to the frozen ones here, where I live, but sometimes, late summer, I find them at the Farmers Market and buy them. So sweet and so delicious!
The recipe today is an “easy-peasy” one! Perfect for a quick dinner and served with some Fried Chicken my way or Chicken Schnitzels, peas are a delicious choice even for the kids. You can also serve them to a fancy dinner with this Roasted Bacon Wrapped Pork Tenderloin. And also, you should try them with the traditional Romanian Chiftele, just like my grandmother used to serve them to us.
I personally love the simplicity of this dish. I love peas in general. When I was growing up, we did not have any frozen vegetables available, so for that matter, we were eating lots of peas while in season, and occasionally canned ones during the winter. Now, you can find frozen peas all year round and to tell you the truth, I prefer them now. I really think that frozen peas taste better than the canned or even fresh ones, for some reason.
How To Make This Super Easy Green Peas Recipe:
For this recipe you will need some basic ingredients:
Onion, which can be regular or green,
Peas, which can be fresh or frozen
Fresh or dried dill
Fresh or dried mint
Oil to saute the vegetables
In a little sauce pan warm up a little bit of oil and add the chopped onion. Saute it until translucent.
Add the green peas and a little bit of water and simmer until the peas are soft, but not mushy and the water reduced to half.
Add chopped mint, dill, salt and pepper to taste and toss everything together. Serve warm with your favorite piece of meat, as a side dish.
This dish is extremely easy to make and delicious. Even your kids will love it. The dill and mint bring lots of flavor to the peas and make them really delicious. It is a basic recipe that is worth trying.
Note: Many recipes out there require sugar to cook the peas. I say that sugar is not necessary, because peas are usually a sweet vegetable that doesn’t require much to taste delicious. Optional add some lemon juice when you serve, just to make it fancy.
- 16 oz frozen or fresh green peas
- 1-2 Tablespoons vegetable oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- ½ bunch fresh chopped dill
- ½ teaspoon dry mint or 1-2 teaspoons of fresh chopped mint
- 1 small onion or 2-3 green onions
- enough water to cover the peas
- Optional: lemon juice when you serve them.
- In a pan, add the chopped onion and saute it in oil for few minutes until becomes translucent.
- Add the green peas and enough water to cover them.
- Add salt and pepper to taste and let the peas simmer until they get soft but not mushy.(about 5-7 minutes)
- When peas are soft, add the chopped dill and mint and mix well.
- Serve the peas as a side dish next to any kind of meat.