This brown and wild rice salad with chicken, apples and walnuts is one of my favorite recipes I collected over the years. I always found it useful for any occasion when you have leftover rice or leftover cooked or roasted chicken. You can replace the chicken with turkey also, which will make the recipe a favorite one, the next day after Thanksgiving.
The recipe calls for cooked brown and also wild rice, so please use the instructions on the package to cook both of them. However, the wild rice needs more time to cook , therefore it is a good idea to cook them separately.
How to cook the rice:
In general for 1/3 cup dry brown rice = 1 cup cooked brown rice ( for the recipe you will need 2 cups cooked brown rice)
For cooking the rice for the recipe you will need: 2/3 cups dry brown rice and 2 cups water
In general 1/3 cup dry wild rice = 1 cup cooked wild rice (for the recipe you will need 1 cup cooked wild rice)
For cooking the rice for the recipe: 1/3 cup wild rice and 1 cup water
Also, to make this recipe, you can also use regular cooked rice, for example leftovers from the Chinese food take out are perfect.(remember these containers of white rice that nobody eats when you order Chinese for home?)
And what about a roasted chicken from the grocery store? This would be perfect too! No matter what you choose for this recipe, you will be pleased with the results. This is seriously a meal by itself, uses healthy ingredients and in my opinion it is a balanced recipe in terms of protein, starches and fiber. And very delicious! Enjoy!
- 2 cups brown rice cooked
- 1 cup wild rice cooked
- 1 big apple diced or 1-2 small apples
- 2 celery stalks chopped
- 1 red bell pepper(or roasted peppers) chopped
- 2-3 green onions chopped
- ½ cup walnuts chopped bite size
- 1 cup chicken cubed cooked
- 3 Tbsp Italian parsley chopped
- ¼ cup apple cider vinegar
- 2 Tbsp lemon juice
- 3 Tbsp olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- How to cook the rice:
- In general, for ⅓ cup dry brown rice = 1 cup cooked brown rice ( for the recipe you will need 2 cups cooked brown rice)
- For cooking the rice for the recipe you will need: ⅔ cups dry brown rice and 2 cups water
- In general ⅓ cup dry wild rice = 1 cup cooked wild rice (for the recipe you will need 1 cup cooked wild rice)
- For cooking the rice for the recipe you will need: ⅓ cup wild rice and 1 cup water
- Combine all. Serve at room temperature or chilled.