Estimated reading time: 4 minutes
Whether you are looking for an easy dish to bring to a potluck or want to entertain and need an elegant and delicious item on the table, this recipe is for you. This Strawberry Arugula Salad With Pecans And Avocado is perfect for the occasion.
Strawberry Arugula Salad With Pecans And Avocado
The recipe is easy to make and ready in less than 15 minutes. Arugula leaves are tossed together with slices of strawberries, onion, avocado, nuts and a simple delicious dressing made with lemon and olive oil completes this beautiful dish.
It goes really well with fish, like salmon, or grilled meats. Sometimes we make it simple, vegetarian, but if you want it more complex, a little bit of crunchy cooked bacon and Feta cheese are a must.
This is one of these recipes I keep coming back to and I am sure you also had it at least once. As the strawberries are available most of the year in the US, there is no excuse to not try it, winter or summer.
What is Arugula?
Arugula is a green leaf vegetable that has a fresh, slightly bitter and peppery flavor. For hundreds of years, arugula is used in many cuisines around the world in soups, salads, sauces and other dishes. As you can see, it is not quite a trendy vegetable.
Read here about the benefits of eating arugula.
This humble green vegetable is also quite resistant in the fridge, compared with other types of greens and can last longer without going limp and soggy. This is one reason that sometimes I prefer buying it instead of romaine lettuce, for example.
What ingredients do I need for this recipe?
- Arugula– wash it really well and use a salad spinner to remove as much water as possible. If you do not have one, use a clean kitchen towel or paper towels to pat dry the leaves. It helps the dressing stick better to the leaves
- Strawberries– juicy fresh strawberries are in season from April to June and this is when you can take fully advantage of this fruit. However, you can find strawberries all year round to use in case you crave this salad.
- Onions– green or red onions provide the perfect flavor
- Pecans or Walnuts– use raw pecans or walnuts or take a few minutes to toast them on the skillet at medium-low heat for no more than 10 minutes. This will keep them crispy and enhance the flavor of the entire salad.
- Avocado- adds creaminess to the salad. However, avocado makes everything better, right?
- Lemon juice
- Olive Oil
- Salt And Pepper
- Optional: cooked bacon and Feta cheese for a heartier salad
How to make strawberry arugula salad with pecans and avocado:
- Rinse the arugula and the strawberries. Make sure the arugula is dry as the dressing sticks better to it. Place the arugula in a bowl and add sliced strawberries.
- Add chopped onions. You can use red onions in the winter and green onions in the summer, both of them are delicious for this salad.
- Clean an avocado, slice it in half and scoop the flesh out. Chop it in bite size pieces and add it to the salad.
- Add roasted or raw pecans or walnuts.
- If you choose to add bacon and crumbled Feta cheese, this is the time to do it. If you want to keep it vegan, then skip these two items.
- Make the vinaigrette by whisking olive oil, lemon juice, salt and pepper together. Adjust the taste if necessary.
- Drizzle the vinaigrette over the salad, toss and serve immediately.
I do not like arugula, can I replace it with other greens?
Yes, you can. Baby spinach works well, but Spring greens are good as well.
I don’t have a lemon for the dressing, what do I do?
Use vinegar instead, any type is ok, I personally like apple cider vinegar, but a good, tasty balsamic vinegar works too.
I can’t find strawberries, what other fruits can I use?
Blueberries, peaches, raspberries work well.
I hope you try this recipe of strawberry arugula salad with pecans and avocado. It is one of my favorites when it comes to entertaining and I love the textures and the combination of flavors. This is a treasure in my book, if you ask me.
Interested in other salad recipes?
- 4 cups arugula washed
- 6 medium strawberries sliced
- 3 green onions chopped(or 1 small chopped shallot)
- 3 tablespoons chopped roasted pecans or walnuts
- 1 medium avocado chopped
- 3 tablespoons olive oil or vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt or to taste
- 1/4 fresh ground pepper
- Optional: 3 slices crispy cooked bacon
- 1/4 cup Feta Cheese
- In a medium bowl place the cleaned arugula.
- Add chopped green onions, thinly sliced strawberries and nuts.
- Optional, you can also add chopped crispy bacon and feta cheese.(If you want a vegan salad, just skip these two ingredients)
- To make the vinaigrette:
- Prepare the dressing by whisking the olive oil, lemon juice, salt, and pepper in a bowl.
- Drizzle the salad with dressing.
- Serve immediately.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 192Total Fat: 18gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 14gCholesterol: 11mgSodium: 340mgCarbohydrates: 6gFiber: 3gSugar: 2gProtein: 4g