This recipe of scalloped potatoes with hard-boiled eggs is a very popular Romanian recipe. Layers of potatoes and boiled eggs, smothered in a sour cream and cheese sauce, then baked, the dish is considered an easy option for lunch or dinner.
I love potatoes. In any form or shape. I have to confess that I like them more than I like pasta or other forms of carbs. I grew up eating lots of them, especially in the winter.
I still own a Romanian book from the ’70s that has no less than 365 recipes made with potatoes, from appetizers to desserts.
Basically, there is one recipe for each day of the year. I love to open that book once in a while and read some of the so many ideas the content has to offer.
This recipe of scalloped potatoes with hard-boiled eggs is a very popular Romanian recipe. I have no idea how old this recipe is, but I assume that if I saw my grandmother making it in the 60’s, it must be older than that.
Everyone knows it as “French potatoes” dish, but to tell you the truth, I am not sure where that name is coming from.
With layers of potatoes and boiled eggs, smothered in a sour cream and cheese sauce, then baked, the dish is considered an easy option for dinner or lunch.
My grandmother, the German one, used to make the recipe all the time. Without meat, it can be a great light dinner, which we used to have while I was growing up.
If you want it with more protein though, you can add bacon, ham, sausages, and cheese. Everything is better with cheese, right? And bacon, of course.
I, personally, love the simplicity of it and how versatile this dish is.
HOW TO MAKE SCALLOPED POTATOES WITH HARD BOILED EGGS:
Use any kind of potatoes you have available. Yukon is a good option, because it is considered the all purpose potato, but if there is no Yukon available, use whatever you have.
Wash the potatoes using a brush, then place them on the stove, in a pot with salted water, leaving the skin on .
Boil them until they are soft inside, but still firm, about 20-25 minutes. Allow them to cool, then peel them.
While the potatoes are cooking, boil the eggs for about 7 minutes. Allow them to cool in cold water, then remove the egg shell.
Chop few slices of ham and place them in a bowl for later use.
How to assemble the dish:
Slice the potatoes medium-thin. Also, slice the eggs. Butter the bottom and the walls of a 9×9 baking dish and place a layer of boiled sliced potatoes on the bottom.
On top of the potatoes, add a layer of hard-boiled eggs, also sliced.
Sprinkle pieces of ham on top of the eggs.
In a separate bowl, beat the eggs together, add the sour cream, a little bit of milk, salt, and pepper to taste. Pour few tablespoons of this mixture over the ham, eggs and potatoes. Sprinkle shredded cheese over.
Continue in the same order: a layer of potatoes, eggs, ham, sour-cream and cheese, until you finish all layers. The top layer should be potatoes, covered with the last few tablespoons of sour cream and more cheese.
Bake the dish in a 350F oven until golden brown, approximately 30-40 minutes. Results? Yum, oh yum…
We had some for dinner, but the best part was that we had it for brunch the next day, together with a delicious Boston lettuce salad.
Super good and super easy to make! Very kid friendly too, if you ask me!
PIN THIS FOR LATER:
Because potatoes are one of my favorite ingredients to cook with, I created here a collection of recipes that use this humble root vegetable.
Suggestions for other awesome recipes:
- 4 large potatoes
- 6 large eggs hard boiled
- 2 raw large eggs
- 1/3 cup sour cream
- 2 -3 tablespoons milk
- salt and pepper to taste
- 16 ounces ham
- 1 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1-2 tablespoons butter for buttering the dish
- 1 teaspoon bread crumbs
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Boil the potatoes with the skin on.
- When cooked, peel the potatoes and slice them in medium thin slices.
- Boil the eggs for about 7 minutes. Let them cool, then peel and slice them also.
- Chop the ham and set it aside.
- Butter the inside of a 9x9 inch baking dish and sprinkle some bread crumbs on the bottom and sides.
- Place a layer of potato slices on the bottom of the dish.
- Over the potatoes, place a layer of hard-boiled eggs.
- Sprinkle a layer of chopped ham over the eggs.
- In a separate bowl, beat the eggs together, add the sour cream, a little bit of milk, salt, and pepper to taste. Pour few tablespoons of this mixture over the ham, eggs and potatoes. Sprinkle shredded cheese over.
- Continue layering the same way, potatoes, eggs, ham, sour cream mixture and cheese until you finish with all the ingredients.
- The last layer should be potatoes covered with the last amount of sour cream mixture and more cheese.
- Bake at 350F until golden brown, about 30-40 minutes.
- Serve warm.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 570Total Fat: 27gSaturated Fat: 12gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 11gCholesterol: 343mgSodium: 1119mgCarbohydrates: 46gFiber: 4gSugar: 4gProtein: 37g