This Quinoa Lentils Walnuts Salad is a delicious and healthy vegan recipe that you should definitely try. It is full of protein, naturally gluten-free, and vegan, making it an excellent option for those who follow a plant-based diet.
Jump to recipe
Why this recipe works
- Nutritious: The combination of quinoa and lentils creates a hearty and nutritious base for the salad. The addition of walnuts and celery adds crunchiness, while the blend of spices like ginger and garlic powder, along with the Mediterranean herb mix, gives the salad a flavorful kick. The lime juice adds a refreshing tang, making it a perfect salad to enjoy on warm days.
- Naturally gluten-free and vegan: It makes a great option for people with specific dietary needs.
- Easy to make and requires minimal effort, especially if you use already-cooked quinoa and lentils. It also makes for a delicious and satisfying meal or side dish that you can enjoy any time of the day.
- The salad's interesting flavor profile: The ginger and garlic powder, along with the Mediterranean herb mix, add depth and complexity to the dish. The lime juice and zest provide a refreshing tang, while the walnuts and celery give it a satisfying crunch.
- Celery - finely chopped
- Walnuts - coarsely chopped
- Green onions- chopped
- Dried Mediterranean herb mix (e.g., rosemary, oregano, marjoram, basil, tarragon)
- Garlic powder
- Ginger powder
- Limes(zest and juice)- you can also use lemons instead
- Olive oil or vegetable oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
You can also add fresh chopped tomatoes, freshly chopped cucumber, crumbled Feta cheese, or goat cheese if you like.
How to make this salad
Cook quinoa first:
If you use uncooked quinoa, for each cup of uncooked seeds, use 2 cups of water. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to medium-low and cover the pot.
Simmer for 15 minutes until the quinoa absorbs the water. Remove from the stove and let it rest for 5 minutes. For this salad, in particular, allow it to cool completely.
Use 3 cups of water for every cup of lentils. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer until tender but not mushy. The best way to check if they are done is to taste them.
Assemble the salad
In a large bowl, mix the cooled quinoa and lentils.
Add chopped celery, green onions, and walnuts. Sprinkle the Mediterranean herb mix, garlic powder, ginger powder, lime zest, salt, and pepper over the salad.
Add lime juice and olive oil, then mix everything well. Refrigerate for 30 minutes so that the ingredients get friendly with each other.
With this easy-to-follow recipe, you can whip up a batch of quinoa lentils and walnut salad in no time.
And, if you're meal prepping for the week ahead, it's a perfect choice since it stores well in the fridge.
Speaking of storage, let's take a look at how to store this salad for maximum freshness.
How to store and freeze
You can store this salad in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3-4 days. If you want to freeze it, it's best to freeze the quinoa and lentils separately from the other ingredients and then mix everything together once you thaw them.
Here is how to do it:
To freeze the quinoa and lentils, place them in separate airtight containers or freezer bags and store them in the freezer for up to 3 months.
When you're ready to make the salad, thaw the quinoa and lentils in the fridge overnight. Then, mix them with the other ingredients and serve chilled.
Goes well with
No Breaded Fried Chicken Thighs
Acorn Squash With Chicken & Fennel
Lemon Rosemary Roasted Chicken With Potatoes And Red Onion
Easy Chicken Breast Schnitzel- French Style
More recipes to love
Quinoa Tabbouleh Salad - A Summer Delight
Craving more? Subscribe to The Bossy Kitchen to get new recipes and a newsletter delivered straight to your inbox! And stay in touch on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, and Instagram for all of the latest updates. Don't forget to use the star rating and leave a review.
Quinoa Lentils Walnuts Salad
- 3 cups cooked quinoa from 1 cup raw quinoa
- 2 cups cooked lentils from ¾ cup raw lentils
- 1 stalk celery finely chopped
- ¼ cup walnuts coarsely chopped
- 2-3 green onions
- 1 tablespoon dried mediterranean herb mix e.g. rosemary, oregano, marjoram, basil, tarragon
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon ginger powder
- 1-2 limes zest and juice
- 2-3 tablespoons olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
Cook the quinoa:
- For each cup of uncooked quinoa, use 2 cups of water. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to medium-low and cover the pot. Simmer for 15 minutes until the quinoa absorbs the water. Remove from the stove and set aside to cool.
Cook the lentils:
- Use 3 cups of water for every cup of lentils. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer until tender but not mushy. The best way to check if they are done is to taste them. Set aside to cool.
How To Make the Salad:
- In a large bowl, place the lentils and the quinoa.
- Add chopped celery, green onions, and walnuts.
- Add salt and pepper, the herb mix, garlic powder, ginger powder, lime zest.
- Add lime juice and olive oil.
- Mix well and serve chilled.
This salad is easy to make and goes well also as a side dish. I didn't have any scallions and substituted them with onions and parsley. The flavor of tarragon combined with lemon juice is absolutely delicious and unique. Highly recommend this dish!
The Bossy Kitchen says
Besides the tarragon, I think I also like the ginger flavor in this dish. It is a good recipe and very healthy as well. Thank you so much for visiting and making some of the recipes.