Quinoa Lentils Walnuts Salad is a wonderful vegetarian recipe that is very easy to put together. The lemon juice and the ginger powder bring flavor to the recipe, while walnuts and celery add crunchiness. Delicious and healthy.
Quinoa Lentils Walnuts Salad
I love the already cooked quinoa and lentils from Trader Joe’s, and I always have a package of each in the fridge/freezer for emergencies.
These items are a lifesaver when time is short and you have to put dinner on the table.
I also like cooking almost everything from scratch, and that includes lentils and other beans, but tonight, I decided to use the already cooked ones and make a quick salad.
I added walnuts to the mixture, then some crunchy green celery, green onions and lots of spices.
I had a little bowl for dinner and fell in love with the taste and the texture of the salad. I think I liked the ginger flavor the most, and it gives the salad an exotic, elegant taste.
IF you need to cook quinoa from scratch, then follow the instructions below.
HOW TO COOK QUINOA:
If you use uncooked quinoa, for each cup of uncooked seeds, use 2 cups of water. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to medium-low and cover the pot.
Simmer for 15 minutes until the quinoa absorbs the water. Remove from the stove and let rest for 5 minutes. For this salad, set aside to cool completely.
Then, you will need lentils.
HOW TO COOK LENTILS:
Use 3 cups of water for every cup of lentils. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer until tender but not mushy. The best way to check if they are done is to taste them.
Spices and other ingredients for the quinoa lentils walnuts salad
- celery, finely chopped
- walnuts, coarsely chopped
- green onions
- dried Mediterranean herb mix (e.g., rosemary, oregano, marjoram, basil, tarragon)
- garlic powder
- ginger powder
- limes(zest and juice)- lemons are ok too
- olive oil or vegetable oil
- salt and pepper to taste
How to make this salad:
After you cook the lentils and the quinoa and allow them to cool, grab a salad bowl, mix everything and refrigerate for 30 minutes so that the ingredients would get acquainted.
Easy peasy, right?
Or maybe you want to join The Bossy Kitchen community group to share your creations made from this blog or other sources. Everyone is welcome to join.
- 3 cups cooked quinoa (from 1 cup raw quinoa)
- 2 cups cooked lentils (from 3/4 cup raw lentils)
- 1 stalk celery, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup walnuts, coarsely chopped
- 2-3 green onions
- 1 tablespoon dried mediterranean herb mix (e.g. rosemary, oregano, marjoram, basil, tarragon)
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ginger powder
- 1-2 limes(zest and juice)
- 2-3 tablespoons olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- Cook the quinoa:
- For each cup of uncooked quinoa, use 2 cups of water. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to medium-low and cover the pot. Simmer for 15 minutes until the quinoa absorbs the water. Remove from the stove and set aside to cool.
- Cook the lentils:
- Use 3 cups of water for every cup of lentils. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer until tender but not mushy. The best way to check if they are done is to taste them. Set aside to cool.
- How To Make the Salad:
- In a large bowl, place the lentils and the quinoa.
- Add chopped celery, green onions, and walnuts.
- Add salt and pepper, the herb mix, garlic powder, ginger powder, lime zest.
- Add lime juice and olive oil.
- Mix well and serve chilled.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 287Total Fat: 12gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 10gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 65mgCarbohydrates: 37gFiber: 9gSugar: 3gProtein: 11g