Lentil Feta Walnut Salad is a lovely salad that is perfect for the cold winter. Made with Feta cheese, walnuts, cilantro and green onions, this salad goes really well with any kind of roasted or grilled meats, or just as is, if you are a vegetarian.
Lentil Feta Walnut Salad
Lentils are some of my favorite legumes in the winter. I live in a cold climate and have a hard time eating cucumber and tomato salads unless is summer and hot.
Beans, lentils and chickpeas combined with other vegetables make a great addition to our meals in the winter.
As you probably know already, lentils are nutritious and balanced providing proteins, fibers, vitamins and minerals.
This humble legume lowers cholesterol, helps with digestion, stabilizes blood sugar and overall it is a delicious and economical way to feed a family.
You can use them in soups, salads and stews and combine them with lots of other vegetables and meats.
I sometimes buy them already cooked, but if they are not available in this form, you can cook them at home, which is very easy.
HOW TO COOK LENTILS:
Use 3 cups of water for every cup of lentils. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer until tender but not mushy.
If you use brown lentils, which are the most common type, they cook in about 30 minutes. The best way to check if they are done is to taste them.
How to make Lentil Feta Walnut Salad
The salad I am going to share with you today is a simple salad made with lentils, walnuts, cilantro and green onions, topped with Feta cheese (I love Feta, especially the one made from sheep milk which is the best!).
The dressing for this salad is extremely easy to make and super delicious. A little bit of olive oil, a little bit of vinegar OR lemon juice, salt and pepper and you are done.
This salad can be served with my favorite chicken schnitzels!
Or maybe you want to join The Bossy Kitchen community group where you can share your creations made from this blog or from other sources. Everyone is welcome to join!
- 2 1/2 cups(500g) cooked lentils
- 3-4 chopped green onions
- 1 bunch chopped cilantro
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/2 cup crumbled Feta cheese
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup vinegar or lemon juice
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Cook lentils:
- Use 3 cups of water for every cup of lentils. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer until tender but not mushy. The best way to check if they are done is to taste them.
- To make the salad:
- Place the lentils into a large salad bowl.
- Chop green onions, cilantro and walnuts and add them to the salad.
- Crumble the Feta cheese and add it to the salad.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Mix together olive oil and vinegar or the juice of a lemon and pour over the rest of the ingredients.
- Toss the ingredients together, chill and serve.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 260Total Fat: 16gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 12gCholesterol: 11mgSodium: 170mgCarbohydrates: 20gFiber: 8gSugar: 3gProtein: 11g