Lentils are some of my favorite legumes in the winter. I live in a cold climate and have a hard time eating cucumber and tomato salads unless is July, so beans, lentils and chickpeas combined with other vegetables make a great addition to our meals in the winter.
As you probably know already, lentils are nutritious and balanced providing proteins, fibers, vitamins and minerals. This humble legume lowers cholesterol, helps with digestion, stabilizes blood sugar and overall it is a delicious and economical way to feed a family.
You can use them in soups, salads and stews and combine them with lots of other vegetables and meats. I sometimes buy them already cooked, but if they are not available in this form, you can make your own and it is very easy.
HOW TO COOK LENTILS:
Use 3 cups of water for every cup of lentils. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer until tender but not mushy. The best way to check if they are done is to taste them.
The salad I am going to share with you today is a simple salad made with Feta cheese (I love Feta, especially the one made from sheep milk which is the best!), walnuts, cilantro and green onions. A little bit of olive oil, a little bit of vinegar OR lemon juice, salt and pepper and you are done. Delicious and goes perfect with my chicken schnitzels!
Or maybe you want to join The Bossy Kitchen community group where you can share your creations made from this blog or from other sources. Everyone is welcome to join!
- 2½ cups(500g) cooked lentils
- 3-4 chopped green onions
- 1 bunch chopped cilantro
- ½ cup chopped walnuts
- ½ cup crumbled Feta cheese
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- ¼ cup vinegar or lemon juice
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Cook lentils:
- Use 3 cups of water for every cup of lentils. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer until tender but not mushy. The best way to check if they are done is to taste them.
- To make the salad:
- Place the lentils into a large salad bowl.
- Chop green onions, cilantro and walnuts and add them to the salad.
- Crumble the Feta cheese and add it to the salad.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Mix together olive oil and vinegar or the juice of a lemon and pour over the rest of the ingredients.
- Toss the ingredients together, chill and serve.