Lentil Feta Walnut Salad is a lovely salad perfect for the cold winter. Made with Feta cheese, walnuts, cilantro, and green onions, this salad goes well with any roasted or grilled meats, or just as is, if you are a vegetarian.
Lentil salads are worth the attention
Lentils are some of my favorite legumes in the winter. I live in a cold climate and have a hard time eating cucumber and tomato salads unless it is summer and hot.
Beans, lentils, and chickpeas combined with other vegetables make a great addition to our meals in the winter.
As you probably know already, lentils are nutritious and balanced, providing proteins, fibers, vitamins, and minerals.
This humble legume lowers cholesterol, helps with digestion, stabilizes blood sugar, and overall, it is a delicious and economical way to feed a family.
You can use them in soups, salads, and stews and combine them with many other vegetables and meats.
I sometimes buy them already cooked, but if they are not available in this form, you can cook them at home, which is very easy.
How to cook lentils
Use 3 cups of water for every cup of lentils. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer until tender but not mushy.
If you use brown lentils, the most common type, they cook in about 30 minutes. The best way to check if they are done is to taste them.
How to make
The salad I will share with you today is a simple salad made with lentils, walnuts, cilantro, and green onions, topped with Feta cheese (I love Feta, especially the one made from sheep milk which is the best!).
The dressing for this salad is effortless to make and super delicious. A little bit of olive oil, a little bit of vinegar OR lemon juice, salt, and pepper, and you are done.
This salad can be served with my favorite chicken schnitzels!
More recipes to love
Or maybe you want to join The Bossy Kitchen community group to share your creations made from this blog or other sources. Everyone is welcome to join!
Lentil Feta Walnut Salad
- 2 ½ cups 500g cooked lentils
- 3-4 chopped green onions
- 1 bunch chopped cilantro
- ½ cup chopped walnuts
- ½ cup crumbled Feta cheese
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- ¼ cup vinegar or lemon juice
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Use 3 cups of water for every cup of lentils. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer until tender but not mushy. The best way to check if they are done is to taste them.
To make the salad:
- Place the lentils into a large salad bowl.
- Chop green onions, cilantro, and walnuts and add them to the salad.
- Crumble the Feta cheese and add it to the salad.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Mix olive oil and vinegar or the juice of a lemon and pour over the ingredients.
- Toss the ingredients together, chill and serve.