Chicken Soup With Sour Cream And Garlic is a Romanian soup also called “Ciorba Radauteana”. It is an easy and delicious way to put dinner on the table any time of the year.
Chicken Soup With Sour Cream And Garlic
Who doesn’t like chicken soup? I never met anybody who doesn’t enjoy a bowl of chicken soup, especially in the winter.
This soup is a little bit different than the popular chicken soup with noodles that we are all familiar with. The recipe comes from Romania and it is a very popular one.
Soups are a favorite in the Romanian cuisine all year round. They are considered healthy, easy to prepare and versatile.
The soups are also great consumed hot during the cold season, perfect for children all ages, and also elders.
This soup is a sour soup which might sound unusual for you. It is made with garlic, sour cream and egg yolks and it is served with vinegar(popular) or lemon juice.
Some Romanian soups are sour because a sour agent is added to them. Usually vinegar, lemon juice, sauerkraut juice are the most popular items used to sour the soups.
It is believed that sour soups help digestion and in some cases even cure the hangovers. The recipe is easy, but you still need to follow some steps to achieve the consistency the soup should have.
What kind of ingredients should you use?
The easy answer is use the best ingredients you can afford. Not only for this recipe, but for any recipe you make.
You want your family to be healthy and eat right. Therefore, make sure that you use ingredients that are free of chemicals, less processed and fresh.
Educate yourself about the labels, what is good and what not and start shopping less in the middle of the grocery store and more on the perimeter of it. You know, where vegetable, fruits, dairy and meats are.
Learn how to also shop in the middle of the grocery store, for dried beans or canned sardines, for example, items that are very healthy for the entire family.
Chicken– The popular item for this soup is chicken breast, but I always thought that chicken soup should be made with other parts of the chicken, which are more flavorful.
Thighs, chicken drumsticks, the back of the bird or even wings are the best, so, yes, you can use them, if they are available.
Onion and root vegetables– these are pretty standard for any soup. Romanians use a lot of celeriac, or celery root together with carrots and parsnisps. Celeriac has a lot of flavor and it is perfect for any soup.
You can find celeriac in the store, but I do know that in U. S. this awesome root is not that popular. I wonder why, because it is definitely delicious.
Sour cream– The sour cream should be at room temperature. Also, as a rule for any soup that has sour cream as an ingredient, never ever dump it in the soup. It will curdle the soup and make it look unappetizing.
So, how do you add the sour cream to the soup?
For this soup, in particular, sour cream, egg yolks and crushed garlic are mixed together into a smooth paste. Using a ladle, pour hot soup over the egg yolks and sour cream, stirring constantly.
Add few more ladles of soup over, one at a time, whisking well after each addition.
The goal here is to slowly bring up the temperature of the eggs and sour cream without scrambling them. This is called tempering.
Only now, after this important step, you can go ahead and pour the sour cream and eggs liquid back in the pot of soup.
NOTE: IF it curdles a little bit, don’t freak out. It is still good to eat and nothing bad will happen to you, so do not throw the soup out!! 🙂
I promise you that you will like the soup and you will keep making it over and over again. It is definitely a keeper, at least in my book.
Suggestions for more recipes with chicken:
- 1 large Chicken breast with bone and skin or 2 medium breast
- 1 large onion
- 2 medium carrots
- 1 parsnip
- 1/2 celeriac root (optional if you don't have it you can use 1-2 celery sticks chopped)
- 1 medium red pepper
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 8 cups water//chicken stock or more to make a 4 Qt pot of soup
- 1 cup sour cream
- 3 egg yolks
- 3-4 garlic cloves
- 4 tablespoons chopped parsley
- To Serve:
- White vinegar, apple cider vinegar or lemon juice
- sour cream
- hot peppers
- Cut onion in quarters. Carrots and parsnip in 2-3 pieces, celeriac root also in quarters. Clean the red peppers of seeds and cut them in quarters as well.
- In a soup pot place the chicken breast, vegetables and a tablespoon of salt.
- Cover with water/stock and bring to a boil, skimming the foam that forms on top of the soup. Cook for about 15 minutes, then lower the heat to medium-low and let the soup simmer for about 40 minutes or until the meat is cooked and the vegetables are tender.
- Take the pot off the stove. Remove the meat and the vegetables from the broth and place them into a big bowl.
- Place the pot back on the heat and add more water if necessary. Bring it back to a boil.
- Let the vegetables and meat cool down for 5 minutes, then remove the meat from the bones and shred it using two forks.
- Cube the carrots, celeriac, the red pepper and parsnip and discard the onion. Set them aside. We will add them to the soup a little bit later.
- In a big bowl, mix the egg yolks, sour cream and the crushed garlic cloves together into a smooth paste..
- Using a ladle pour hot soup over the egg yolks and sour cream, stirring constantly. Add few more ladles of soup over, one at a time, whisking well after each addition. (Make sure the eggs and the sour cream are at room temperature before you proceed to this step)
- Pour the sour cream and eggs liquid back in the pot of soup, add the shredded chicken and the cubed vegetables.
- Bring it back to a boil, taste to make sure it has enough salt and add the chopped parsley.
- How To Serve The soup:
- Serve the soup hot, in bowls, with fresh bread. Add vinegar to your taste or lemon juice and more sour cream. Hot peppers are nice too.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 138Total Fat: 8gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 100mgSodium: 843mgCarbohydrates: 9gFiber: 2gSugar: 4gProtein: 7g