Easy yogurt drop homemade doughnuts are a simple, classic recipe for a quick dessert. Great for breakfast with a cup of coffee.
I get emotional every time I see this recipe in my collection. My friend, Irina, shared it with me many years ago. She loved this recipe and used to make it very often. I choose to make the doughnuts every year when we remember Irina on her birthday.
You see, Irina passed away few years ago while battling breast cancer. She was a beautiful woman, with a bubbly, cheerful, loving personality and a generous spirit. We all miss her very much and think of her often.
So, with much love from Irina’s kitchen to mine and to everyone to enjoy, here you have Irina’s easy yogurt drop homemade doughnuts:
How to make these Easy Yogurt Drop Homemade Doughnuts :
In a medium bowl sift the flour, baking soda and a pinch of salt. Beat the eggs and add them to the flour. Add the sugar, yogurt(or Kefir), vanilla and mix well.
Drop the dough by the tablespoon, 4-5 at a time, in the hot oil and fry the doughnuts for about 2 to 3 minutes on each side, turning once or twice so they cook evenly. Cooking more fritters at a time may cause the oil temperature to drop too much, so do not crowd them in the pan. If the heat is too low, will cause the fritters to absorb too much oil, while too high a heat will burn the outsides before the insides are properly cooked.
Have a large plate lined with several layers of paper towel near the stove. When they are a deep amber brown, transfer them to the paper towels.
Dust them with powder sugar and serve warm or cold with a cup of coffee.
Enjoy! And thank you, Irina, my dear friend!
Or maybe you want to join The Bossy Kitchen community group where you can share your creations made from this blog or from other sources. Everyone is welcome to join!
- 4 cups(500g) all-purpose flour
- 4 eggs
- 1 pinch salt
- 4-5 Tbsp granulated sugar
- ½ tsp baking soda
- 2 cups(500g) yogurt or Kefir
- 2 tsp vanilla
- Enough vegetable oil for frying
- Enough powder sugar for dusting
- In a medium bowl sift the flour, baking soda and a pinch of salt.
- Beat the eggs and add them to the flour.
- Add the sugar, yogurt(or Kefir), vanilla and mix well.
- Heat the oil on medium high then reduce the heat to medium low.
- Drop the dough by the teaspoon, 4-5 at a time, in the hot oil and fry for a minute or until become golden. Flip the doughnuts and continue to fry them until done.
- Drain on paper towels.
- Dust the doughnuts with powder sugar and serve warm.
- Note: Fry only one at the beginning and make sure it is cooked inside. Reduce the heat if necessary, so the dough cooks through.