Learn how to make these delicious twisted doughnuts- Romanian style. Easy to make, these humble, simple doughnuts are some of the best I ever had.
Twisted Doughnuts- Romanian Style
Twisted doughnuts are popular in many cuisines around the world, from Europe to Africa, Asia and both North and South America. The recipes are passed from generation to generation, and everyone loves them.
They must be extremely good and comforting if every continent around the world has a version of them. If you had them before, you know what I mean.
What ingredients you need for making twisted doughnuts:
- all purpose flour
- dry active yeast
How to make these delicious twisted doughnuts- the Romanian style:
The dough for doughnuts is an yeast dough, so we will start warming up the milk and pouring it into a large bowl.
Tip: The recipe is easy to put together, so we will use only one bowl for the entire operation.
Beat the eggs and add them also to the mixture. If you like a little bit of vanilla, this is the time to add it.
Add the flour and knead the dough for 10-15 minutes until you obtain a smooth, elastic dough that is just a little bit sticky. You can achieve the same results if you make the dough in a KitchenAid Mixer.
Place the doughnuts in the heated oil and fry them on medium heat for 3-4 minutes on each side, making sure they cook all the way around.
How long will the doughnuts stay fresh?
They are the best on the day you make them, but even the next day they still taste good. Place them in an airtight container and keep them for maximum 1-2 days.
Can I keep the doughnuts longer?
If you want to keep them longer(why would you, though?), place them in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to a week. Warm them up for 30 seconds in the microwave and enjoy them.
Can I store the dough in the refrigerator overnight?
Believe it or not, you can store yeast dough in the refrigerator. The rising will slow down but it will not stop, so your doughnuts will continue to rise.
Pin this for later:
Suggestions for more doughnuts(or donuts) recipes:
- 4 cups/17.64oz/500g all purpose flour
- 1 cup/8 fl.oz./250ml milk
- 2 large eggs
- 1/4 cup/1.76oz/50 g granulated sugar
- 3 tablespoons/40 g melted butter
- 1/2 cup/60 g powder sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons/10g dried yeast
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Start by pouring the lukewarm milk in a big bowl.
- Add the dried yeast and granulated sugar.
- Mix everything really well until the yeast is dissolved.
- When the yeast is dissolved, add the melted but cool butter, eggs and vanilla extract.
- Using a whisk, stir everything well.
- Add the flour and salt and mix well until you obtain a dough. The dough will be sticky.
- Start kneading the dough for 10-15 minutes until you obtain a smooth, elastic dough that is just a little bit sticky.
- If the dough is too sticky, just add a little bit of flour, if it is too dense, add a little bit of milk. However, add little by little and knead until you get the right consistency.
- Keep the dough in the bowl but cover it with foil and let it rise in a warm place for about 40 minutes, or until it doubles in size.
- When the dough has proofed, sprinkle some flour on the table and place the dough on it.
- Split the dough in 10 pieces and roll them in your hands to make them round. Place them on the table.
- Take a piece of dough and roll it into a cord. Fold the cord in half and twist it to form the doughnut.
- Press the ends together and place the doughnut back on the table.
- Continue the same with the rest of them.
- Let them proof again on the table for 15-20 minutes, while you heat up the oil in a deep frying pan.
- Place the doughnuts in the heated oil and fry them on medium heat for 3-4 minutes on each side, making sure they cook all the way around. Do not crowd them, as they will need some space to rise. When cooked, they should be golden brown.
- Remove them from the pan and place them on paper towels to drain.
- While still hot, sprinkle some powder sugar on the doughnuts and serve.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Measuring Cups And Spoons Set - 13 Piece Baking And Cooking Tool Pack, Stainless Steel, Engraved Measurement Markings, Narrow Spoons For Spice Jars | 1/8 Coffee Cup | Bonus Ebook
Pyrex Prepware 2-Cup Measuring Cup, Red Graphics, Clear
[Deluxe Set] 5 Premium Grade Stainless Steel Mixing Bowl Set with Lids and Non Skid Bottoms Stainless Steel Mixing Bowls with Pour Spout, Measurement Marks, and 3 Grater Attachments
Vremi Enameled Cast Iron Dutch Oven Pot with Lid - 6 Quart Capacity for Preparing Low and Slow Cooking Meals - Electric Gas Stove Top Compatible Cookware - Deep Large - Blue
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 346 Total Fat: 12g Saturated Fat: 7g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 4g Cholesterol: 65mg Sodium: 160mg Carbohydrates: 51g Net Carbohydrates: 0g Fiber: 2g Sugar: 11g Sugar Alcohols: 0g Protein: 8g