I love magic cakes! If you never had this cake before, you don’t know what you missed! The Vanilla Magic Custard Cake is a cake made with very simple ingredients, like eggs, sugar, butter, milk and flour with a pinch of vanilla. The magic happens in the oven while during baking, the batter separates in three awesome layers, with vanilla custard in the middle. I know! I was skeptic too until I actually baked the cake and cut it. Bam! One batter, three layers of Heaven! The process is simple and I will explain it to you in detail.
HOW TO MAKE THE VANILLA MAGIC CUSTARD CAKE:
First of all, I used my KitchenAid mixer to combine the ingredients, because it was easy, but you can do it with a regular mixer or by hand also.
Preheat the oven to 350F/180C.
Separate the eggs. Cream together the yolks and the powder sugar until the mixture gets lighter in color.
Add slowly the butter and keep mixing. The butter has to be melted, but cool.
When the butter incorporated, add the milk. The milk has to be luke warm, otherwise it will curdle the batter.
Keep mixing while you add the flour and the vanilla. Set aside.
Separately, beat the egg whites with a pinch of salt until stiff.
Pour the egg whites over the batter and fold them in slowly to incorporate them into the mixture. Do not be afraid if the batter will look very thin. This is how it should be.
Butter and flour a 9x13inch baking dish and pour the batter into the baking dish.
Bake at a 350 F for 10 minutes then reduced the heat to 325F and bake it for another 50 minutes. The batter separates into three layers and you will end up with a golden brown cake layer on top, a creamy custard in the middle and another delicious soft custard as a base of the cake.
Let it cool completely, then put it in the refrigerator for few hours. It is better if the cake sits in the fridge overnight, so it sets completely. Dust the cake with powder sugar and serve.
See the layers? MAGIC! And wait until you try it! DELICIOUS! You cannot be on a diet when you have this one! Why? Because you will not be able to stop eating after the first piece!
- 9 large eggs separated(room temperature)
- 4 cups/1liter whole milk(luke warm)
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 cup melted butter but cool
- 2 cups powder sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla flavor
- pinch of salt
- Preheat the oven to 350F(180C).
- Separate the eggs.
- In a stand up mixer, cream together the yolks with the powder sugar.
- Add slowly the melted butter and keep mixing. When the butter is incorporated, add the milk.
- Keep mixing while you add the flour spoon by spoon and the vanilla. Set aside.
- Separately, beat the egg whites with a pinch of salt until stiff. Pour the egg whites over the batter and fold them slowly to incorporate the egg whites into the mixture. The batter will be thin but this is normal.
- Lightly butter and flour a 9x13 baking dish.
- Pour the batter into the dish and bake 10 minutes at 350F then reduce the heat to 325F and bake for another 50 minutes.
- Let it cool completely then put it in the refrigerator for few hours. It is better if the cake sits in the refrigerator overnight to set completely.
- Sprinkle the cake with powder sugar and serve.