Fried peppers with tomatoes, eggs, and cheese is a Macedonian dish made in the summer and served mainly as breakfast. This delicious dish is super easy to make and highly satisfying and nutritious.
Every year I look forward to a summer with long hot days and easy recipes that can be put together in no time.
Salads, grilled meats, and super easy recipes are all we need when the temperatures are rising.
I personally love a good tomato, a good pepper, and a good piece of cheese. Making a salad with these few ingredients is also an excellent way to enjoy them.
Embrace the Flavors of This Recipe
This recipe is a combination of peppers, tomatoes, eggs, and cheese and comes from the cuisine of Macedonians who live in the southern part of Romania, closer to the Black Sea.
It is one of the most popular dishes of their cuisine, and it is called piperchi țârgâsiti, translated as fried peppers.
Summer is the perfect season for this recipe, as peppers and tomatoes are right in season and taste the best.
I have to confess that I had a lot of trouble taking pictures of the final product.
It was a complicated recipe to photograph because of the egg incorporated into the sauce.
However, this recipe is one of these humble treasures that don't need to be Instagram-worthy because they are absolutely delicious, which is what counts anyway, in my opinion.
Peppers- Some recipes go for the green pepper, but if you live in the US, I really encourage you to use red, yellow, or orange bell peppers.
They are sweeter and more delicious than the regular green pepper. Of course, if you like the green ones, you can use them.
Tomatoes- I prefer fresh tomatoes, but there are times in our life when fresh is not always available, so you can definitely go for a can of diced tomatoes or crushed ones.
Eggs- are added to the dish after cooking the peppers and the tomatoes together.
Feta cheese- goat or sheep types are the traditional ones. The saltier, the better.
Let's talk about cheese
The dish has to be made with some sort of Feta cheese that is salty. The original recipes are made with sheep or goat cheese.
If you live in the United States, please do not use that crumbled Feta cheese you find in plastic containers at grocery stores.
There are better options out there, like Feta from Greece, Bulgaria, or other countries that know how to make a good product.
Also, the shredded cheese in the bags is not suitable for this recipe. It has to be Feta.
The crumbled cheese in the plastic container is not a tasty option, and it will ruin the dish.
As I often said in the past, a good recipe cannot be made with bad ingredients.
This dish might look like Shakshouka, but it is not the same.
The eggs are cooked and mixed with the peppers, and tomatoes and cheese are added to the "pool."
When do you serve this dish?
The dish is served for breakfast, but it can also be served any time of the day when you want a light and delicious meal.
It is originally a vegetarian dish, but bacon, sausage, and other types of meat can be added if you choose that.
Other ingredients that can be used
There are versions of this dish out there made with garlic, onion, and spices like paprika.
While you can add whatever you want, I strongly suggest making it simple, at least for the first time.
How to make this recipe
We start with the peppers. Wash and seed the peppers. Cut them into little pieces, bite-size.
Heat a skillet on the stove and add some good olive oil or sunflower oil.
Remember, do not fuss about what kind of oil you need to use, as this dish is supposed to be made with ingredients that are easy to find and do not cost a fortune.
Cook the peppers until they become translucent and develop their natural flavor.
Meanwhile, chop the tomatoes. If you do not like the skin of the tomato, you can submerge them in some hot water, then peel the skin off.
If you use a can of diced tomatoes, just add them to the peppers and allow them to cook together.
Simmer for a few minutes until the peppers are softer and a sauce is formed.
Crumble or chop the cheese and add it to the pan. Allow the cheese to warm up.
Beat the eggs and add them to the pan. Mix gently to incorporate the eggs into the sauce.
Before you serve it, sprinkle fresh chopped parsley on top of it.
The dish can be served warm or cold. It is absolutely delicious.
More Breakfast Recipes
Pin this for later:
Fried peppers with tomatoes eggs and cheese
- 3 medium bell peppers red are my favorite, use what you have available
- 3-4 medium tomatoes or a can of 14.5 oz diced tomatoes
- 2-3 large eggs
- 8 ounces Feta cheese sheep or goat are the best, but cow cheese is fine as well
- 1-2 tablespoons vegetable oil or olive oil
- Salt and pepper to your taste
- Start with the peppers. Wash and seed them. Cut them in bite size pieces.
- Heat up a skillet on the stove and add some good olive oil or sunflower oil.
- Cook the peppers until they become translucent and develop their natural flavor.
- Meanwhile, chop the tomatoes. If you do not like the skin of the tomato, you can submerge them in some hot water, then peel the skin off, chop and add them to the peppers.
- If you use a can of diced tomatoes, just add them to the peppers and allow them to cook together.
- Simmer for few minutes until the peppers are softer and a sauce is formed.
- Crumble or chop the cheese and add it to the pan. Allow the cheese to warm up.
- Beat the eggs and add them to the pan. Mix gently to incorporate the eggs to the sauce.
- Before you serve it, sprinkle fresh chopped parsley on top of it.
- The dish can be served warm or cold.