The Pound Cake with Fruits and Almond Flakes is a delicious recipe that can be made all year around using fresh fruits in season or frozen. The cake is not very sweet, but it is delicate and full of flavor. Cherries are the best if you combine them with almonds.
This recipe of Pound Cake with Fruits and Almond Flakes is something that I like making in the summer.
From June to September, Romanians love to bake this cake and use any fruits in season from cherries to strawberries or other type of berries, to apricots and peaches.
Here are some other recipes that involve fresh fruits during the summer time:
Plums Coffee Cake Summer Dessert
Romanian Fruit Coffee Cake(Pandispan Cu Fructe)
Easy summer Old Fashion Peach Cake
It is light, delicious, not very sweet and makes a great dessert or snack. It is also great for a picnic. However, because frozen fruits are available all year around, you can have this cake whenever you want it.
HOW TO MAKE THE POUND CAKE WITH FRUITS AND ALMOND FLAKES:
First of all, I truly recommend a kitchen scale. With the globalization, the internet and how we now get access to recipes from all over the world, you need a scale to measure ingredients.
The kitchen scales are cheap and easy to find in stores, so there is no excuse to not have one around.
Besides the fact that measuring the ingredients correctly in easier than using cups and teaspoons, you can now make European recipes and graduate from the boxed cake mix.
How cool would that be? You can even become the new Mary Berry! Here is a kitchen scale that measures both ounces and grams.
I started by mixing the butter(which was room temperature) with powder sugar.
Tip: Buy unsalted butter, it is better for baking.
I sifted the flour, baking powder and salt and set aside. I prepared the eggs in a bowl and measured the almond flakes.
I added the eggs to the butter, one at a time.
I added the flour slowly. If you use a mixer, start slow until you incorporate the flour.
I covered the bottom of a 9×13 baking pan with parchment paper.
Then I poured the batter into the pan.
I made it with frozen cherries, but you can use fresh pitted cherries, strawberries, raspberries, plums, apricots, peaches etc.
Then, sprinkled with almond flakes.
I baked the cake at 350F for about 35 minutes. The time to bake depends on your oven, but it should be somewhere between 30-40 minutes.
Very pretty, right?
You just have to let it cool, then cut in squares and dust each piece with powder sugar.
It is a simple cake that would probably go well with some ice cream right next to it.
I personally like it simple, with a cup of tea or coffee.(learn how to make Turkish coffee at home)
This cake is delicious and simple and perfect for any occasion. Enjoy!
- 8.8 oz/250 g unsalted butter room temperature
- 8.8 oz/250 g powder sugar
- 8.8oz/250 g flour
- 1/2 teaspoon/5 g baking powder
- 6 eggs
- 17.6oz/500 g fresh fruit the best are apricots, peaches, cherries, blueberries, plums)
- 3.5oz/100 g almond flakes
- 1 pinch of salt
- Preheat oven to 350F. Prepare a 9x13 baking pan with parchment paper on the bottom.
- In a large bowl, mix unsalted butter with powder sugar and salt until smooth.
- Add eggs, one at a time, mixing well after each egg.
- Sift flour with baking powder and salt together and add them to the mixture spoon by spoon.
- Pour the mixture into the baking pan. Use a spatula to level and spread equally the mixture in the pan.
- Place the fruit on top of the mixture(if you use plums, cut them in half and remove the pit. Do the same with the peaches or apricots)
- Sprinkle with almond flakes.
- Bake at 350F for approximately 30-40 minutes or until it passes the test with the toothpick.
- Let it cool completely then sprinkle with powder sugar and serve.
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 318 Total Fat: 18g Saturated Fat: 9g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 8g Cholesterol: 103mg Sodium: 85mg Carbohydrates: 35g Net Carbohydrates: 0g Fiber: 2g Sugar: 20g Sugar Alcohols: 0g Protein: 6g