This easy marbled pound cake is moist, fluffy, and delicious. One of the easiest to make coffee cakes, it is excellent as a snack with a cup of coffee or milk.
Marbled Pound Cake and why you should make the recipe:
This humble recipe is beautiful and delicious, and it will brighten your day. It is a simple sweet bread that can be made any day of the week when you crave some comfort.
It works really well next to a cup of tea or a coffee.
The quantities on this recipe are for two loaves, so you can freeze one for later if you prefer.
It is an excellent bread for potlucks, great for your kid to take to school in his lunch box, great for when you have company for coffee, and on many other occasions when you need something to calm down your sweet tooth.
Here you can find another option of sweet bread- Blueberry Orange Bread With Walnuts:
or this Low Sugar Bread with Dried Fruits and Nuts– one of the best!
Did I mention that this recipe is also great for picnics and trips? The bread can be sliced and wrapped in individual little bags if you travel by car, train, or plane.
Much better than the small snack bags you receive on the plane, right?
You can add walnuts, pecans, or other nuts you like; you can develop different flavors, like lemon, rum, or almond.
The options are endless. You just have to find your favorite combination.
It is a classic Romanian bread that I grew up with, and I like to make it quite often. When my mind goes blank and I lack ideas, I go for this sweet bread.
What is the secret for such a good bread?
This bread doesn’t have any baking powder or baking soda in it. The secret to obtaining fluffy, delicious sweet bread stays in the egg whites. The egg whites are beaten until stiff and very gently folded into the batter.
The bread will rise only because of the air we incorporated into the egg whites.
In the past, people did not have baking powder or baking soda available, so a lot of the work was done by the strong arms of the baker, who would beat the heck out of these egg whites to obtain a fluffy final product.
Now we have electric mixers that can do the same thing for us. Definitely, life got easier, right?
Enjoy and let me know if you liked it! And if you did, maybe you want to take a look at this Sour Cherries Sweet Cornbread too. It is also very delicious and very Romanian.
More recipes to love:
Follow me on Pinterest for more recipes.
- 1¾ cups(350g) granulated sugar
- 6 eggs separated
- 11 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 7 tablespoons cold water
- 1 tablespoons baking powder
- 2¾ cups (350g) all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoons vanilla
- 1 lemon zest
- 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
- Preheat oven to 350F and grease two loaf pans with butter or oil.
- Separate egg whites from yolks.
- With an electric mixer, beat the yolks with the oil added slowly, spoon by spoon. You want to build up the mixture, like a mayonnaise.
- Add the cold water, spoon by spoon. Keep mixing.
- Sift the flour and baking powder together.
- Add the egg yolks and oil mixture to the flour and mix slowly.
- Incorporate vanilla and lemon zest into the mixture. Set aside.
- Separately, beat the egg whites with sugar until stiff.
- Fold the egg whites slowly into the flour mixture. Fold only until you see that the flour was incorporated. It is OK to see some egg whites in the mixture still.
- Split the batter into two parts.
- Use one part to mix it with the cocoa powder. Set aside.
- Pour the other half of the batter into the two loaf pans, making sure there is an equal amount of batter in each pan.
- Add the cocoa batter to each pan.
- Grab a fork or a spoon and swirl your cocoa batter to create patterns in the other batter.
- Bake at 350F for 30-45 mins or until the toothpick comes clean and the loaves are golden brown on top.
- Carefully remove them from the pans and place them on a rack to cool.
- Slice the bread with a serrated knife and serve at room temperature.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 129Total Fat: 8gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 6gCholesterol: 47mgSodium: 79mgCarbohydrates: 12gFiber: 1gSugar: 0gProtein: 3g