Easy Plum Coffee Cake is a dessert that can be enjoyed in the summer when plums are in season, but you can make it all year around using some other fruits, like cherries, peaches or apricots.
When I was growing up in Romania, the end of August was the time when plums were in season.
The plums that I knew, were the so called “Italian plums”(here in the US), the ones that are smaller, round, juicy, with a stone that can be removed easily.
People back home make jams, cakes, compotes and even brandy out of these fruits, trying to use them while in season.
This plums coffee cake is not something difficult to make. In fact, it is just a sponge cake with fruits.
The beauty of it is that you can make it not only with plums, but also with cherries, peaches, or apricots.
It is a different version of the recipe I posted a while ago, the Pound Cake with Fruits and Almond Flakes.
Both recipes are very tasty and easy to make and no matter which one you try, I guarantee you will fall in love with them. A good cup of coffee is great with this beautiful cake.
How To Make Plums Coffee Cake-Summer Dessert:
Slice the plums in halves and remove the stone.
Keep beating the egg whites to a stiff peak. Incorporate the egg yolks by folding them gently with a spoon.
Do not overmix, as you do not want to lose the air from the batter.
- 1 pound/453 g plums
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1-2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 5 large eggs separated
- 5 tablespoons vegetable oil or melted unsalted butter
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1-2 teaspoons vanilla flavor
- 1 teaspoon rum flavor
- a pinch of salt
- Preheat the oven to 350F(180C).
- Slice the plums in halves and remove the stone.
- Place the plums in a bowl and sprinkle them with sugar and cinnamon, then mix them gently. Set aside.
- Separate the eggs.
- Mix the egg yolks with the rum flavor, then add the oil mixing continuously until incorporated. Set aside.
- With a mixer, beat the egg whites with a pinch of salt to a soft peak, then add sugar, and vanilla. Keep beating the egg whites to a stiff peak.
- Incorporate the egg yolks by folding them gently with a spoon.
- Incorporate the flour also, gently, folding it from the bottom of the bowl to its surface.
- Do not overmix.
- Butter and flour a 10x14 inches pan and pour the mixture into it. Spread it with a spatula.
- Place the plum halves on top of the batter and bake at 350F/180C for 40-45 minutes.
- Let it cool in the pan, then sprinkle the cake with powder sugar and cut it in squares.
- Serve with coffee.
KitchenAid KHM512ER 5-Speed Ultra Power Hand Mixer, Empire Red
casaWare Ceramic Coated NonStick Cookie/Jelly Roll Pan (10 X 14-Inch, Silver Granite)
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 121 Total Fat: 5g Saturated Fat: 1g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 4g Cholesterol: 48mg Sodium: 25mg Carbohydrates: 16g Fiber: 0g Sugar: 11g Protein: 2g