This is a very old family recipe. Very popular in Transylvania and other parts of Eastern Europe, this cake is known as the ” recipe of walnut cake with egg yolk glaze.”
I love easy desserts and easy baking. This recipe fits exactly my passion for real ingredients that most of us should have in the pantry.
The cake is made with flour and ground walnuts, butter, sugar, and egg whites. The egg whites will give the cake an airy, fluffy consistency.
After the cake is baked, the leftover egg yolks are mixed with powder sugar and poured as a glaze over the cake. The cake is returned to the oven for another 3 minutes to ensure that the egg yolks are cooked properly.
Pin This for later:
Nothing is wasted in this recipe, as you can see. When the cake cools down, melted chocolate is drizzled over the glaze for a handsome look, but this is optional.
NOTE ON THE GLAZE: This recipe came from my mom, who made the recipe quite often. It is a very popular recipe in Romania, and everyone makes it.
The recipe has a million versions, and researching the ingredients and amounts used. I noticed that some of the recipes use the egg yolk in a raw form in the glaze.
Yes, it adds creaminess, but you can also risk a good Salmonella poisoning if you don’t use pasteurized eggs.
Because of that, I decided to listen to my guts and return the cake to the oven for few minutes to make sure the glaze is cooked. The cake will also last longer as it will be safer to eat.
The cake needs to cool down completely before you cut it. Use a sharp serrated knife for pretty slices. The glaze is very fragile and will break easily.
Or maybe you want to join The Bossy Kitchen community group, where you can share your creations made from this blog or other sources. Everyone is welcome to join!
- For the cake:
- 2 cups/4 sticks/450g of butter at room temperature
- 2 cups/400g granulated sugar
- 2 cups/250g ground walnuts
- 2 cups/250g all purpose flour
- 6 egg whites(keep the yolks for the glaze)
- 6 egg yolks
- 1 1/2 cups/180g powder sugar
- Optional: 2 oz dark chocolate for decoration
- Preheat the oven to 350F.
- In a bowl of your stand mixer, whisk the butter with sugar until light and fluffy.
- Lower the speed of the mixer and add walnuts.
- Add flour spoon by spoon and mix.
- Set aside.
- In a different bowl, beat the egg whites until stiff.
- Add them slowly to the batter mixing gently with a spatula from underneath to the surface.
- Pour the batter into a greased and floured 9x13inch baking dish.
- Bake it at 350F for 30-40 mins or until golden brown. (if you bake it in a metal pan, the baking time is slightly lower than in a glass pan)
- While the cake is baking, prepare the glaze:
- In a bowl, mix the egg yolks and powder sugar.
- When the cake is ready, please remove it from the oven and pour the egg yolks immediately glaze over the cake. Use a spatula to flatten the surface.
- Return it to the oven and bake for another 2-3 minutes. Shut off the oven and leave the cake inside for another 5 minutes until the glaze gets hard.
- Wait until the cake completely cools down. Melt the dark chocolate and drizzle over the cake.
- Slice the cake in squares using a very sharp serrated knife.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 258Total Fat: 16.9gSaturated Fat: 7.8gTrans Fat: 0gCholesterol: 61mgSodium: 13mgCarbohydrates: 24.9gFiber: 0.7gSugar: 18.2gProtein: 3.9g