Green bean and potato salad– a delicious salad that can be served as a side dish next to your favorite cut of meat, or by itself for a light lunch or dinner.
Green Bean And Potato Salad
I like potato salad in any form. Better said, I like potatoes in any form. Give me French Fries made from scratch and I am your friend forever.
This salad is an awesome side dish that is very versatile. You can make it for a light dinner, but leftovers are great for lunch the next day.
It is fancy enough for a dinner with guests where you can serve it right next to some roasted meat.
The beauty of this green bean and potato salad is that it has no mayo. Or mustard.
The olive oil and lemon juice are the perfect combination in this vinaigrette that is delicious and super easy to make.
The vinaigrette is also lighter and more resistant to the heat (if you make it for a picnic in the summer) or for a potluck, when the salad sits few hours at room temperature.
As written, this recipe is naturally gluten free, vegetarian, dairy free and mayo free.
In other words, you are lucky to find this recipe and you need to save it in your file that has recipe that can be made all year round and for any occasion.
This salad is great in the summer, great in the fall, great for the holidays and great any time you need a simple dish. Leftovers are amazing too.
Eggs offer the protein besides the carbs, but what if you get really naughty and add some crispy bacon to it? Huh, huh? Now, I got your attention!
Can you even imagine what that bacon would do to this salad? I am getting giggly inside when think about it!
How to make the Green Bean and Potato Salad:
The recipe is very straight forward.
The potatoes are boiled (if you use organic ones, you can keep the skin on, they are more delicious) in a big pot of salted water. When I say salted, I mean REALLY salted, as you want flavor and taste on these vegetables.
The green beans are added in the same pot, when the potatoes are almost done, and cooked for 4 to 5 minutes more. We want them al dente, not mushy.
Boil the eggs and let them cool, then peel them and slice them to your taste.
While the potatoes and green beans are cooling down, make the vinaigrette. Lemon juice, olive, garlic, salt go into a screw-top jar.
Shake the jar well until the ingredients emulsify.
The salad also has capers(which I love), chopped or grape tomatoes(look for a sweet variety), black olives. Green olives go really well if you do not have black ones.
To put the salad together, just grab a big salad bowl, place the cooled potatoes, green beans, tomatoes, capers, olives and toss them with the vinaigrette.
Chopped parsley or fresh basil leaves make this salad beautiful and alive!
Add slices of boiled eggs and mix gently to incorporate them. Voila!
You just made a delicious salad to enjoy!
Some other recipe ideas with potatoes:
PIN THIS FOR LATER:
- 1 lb small red potatoes(either new or regular)
- 1 teaspoon salt for boiling the potatoes
- 8 oz. fresh green beans cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1 tablespoon capers(rinsed and drained)
- 1 cup chopped tomatoes or grape tomatoes
- 2 hard boiled eggs, cut into wedges
- 1/3 cup black olives, pitted and quartered(green are fine too)
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley or fresh basil leaves
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1 garlic clove minced
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 medium lemons(zest and juice)
- salt to taste
- In a medium pot combine potatoes and enough water to cover. Add salt and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer, covered, 12 to 15 minutes or until the potatoes are tender.
- Add the green beans the last 4-5 minutes. Drain and cool for about an hour.
- Make the dressing:
- In a screw-top jar combine lemon zest, lemon juice, ground pepper, olive oil, minced garlic and salt to your taste. Cover and shake well.
- In a large bowl combine potatoes, green beans, capers, olives, tomatoes, eggs and parsley or basil leaves chopped.
- Add the dressing and toss gently to coat.
- Season again with salt if necessary.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 196Total Fat: 11gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 9gCholesterol: 47mgSodium: 432mgCarbohydrates: 21gFiber: 3gSugar: 3gProtein: 5g