Cheesy Chorizo and Tomato Baked Pasta is a delicious recipe for a wonderful dinner. Easy to make with few ingredients, this dish will become a favorite. Pasta baked in a delicious tomato sauce with cheese and Spanish chorizo is all you need for a comforting dinner on a cold night.
Who doesn’t love pasta? Easy to make and so versatile, pasta can become an addiction for many of us who love comfort food. This recipe uses very few ingredients and it is made in no time. There are dishes that have the power to transport you to a special place and time and this dish can send you on a short trip to Spain through its flavors and simplicity.
Pasta with chorizo and tomato sauce (Or Macarrones Con Chorizo y Tomate) is a very traditional dish in Spain. A pinch of garlic, oregano and basil make this dish fabulous in its simplicity. It started to be very present in the Spanish cuisine after the Civil War. Some international authors named this dish “macarrones a la espanola“. It is also very traditional to serve it with shredded cheese, in particular Manchego cheese.
Very popular among young people, probably because the ingredients are easy to find and very affordable, this dish can be enjoyed in many school campuses. It is also popular in many cheap restaurants. If you ask me, it is real comfort food, indeed.
I love easy recipes and I love the fact that with minimum effort, you can have a lovely dish on your table to feed the whole family. I, personally, also love the leftovers. Pasta, in any form, is a perfect meal to have for lunch the next day with a little salad right next to it.
Cheesy Chorizo and Tomato Baked Pasta is your easy recipe for week nights when you have to make dinner fast. Don’t have Spanish chorizo? Replace it with mild Italian sausage or spicy Mexican chorizo. Play with the ingredients and make the recipe your own.
The Spanish chorizo is cooked with onion, garlic and spices in a tomato sauce, then added to cooked pasta. The cheese comes on top before the dish gets baked to perfection in the oven.
Yum, right? And so easy to put together! There is really not much to say about this recipe, so why are you not in the kitchen yet digging for the pasta and the sausages in your pantry?
If you make this recipe, please let me know. Take a picture and tag it with #thebossykitchenggk on Instagram so we can all see it. I always love to see what you come up with!
And don’t forget to follow me on Facebook, Pinterest and Twitter. This is the easiest way to stay connected with my work. You can also join The Bossy Kitchen community group where everyone can share their creations made from this blog or their favorite recipes!
- 1 chopped onion
- 4-5 Tablespoons olive oil
- 9 oz/250g Spanish Chorizo or any kind of sausage you like and have available
- 1 14 oz. (398 mL) can tomato sauce or crushed tomatoes
- 1 12 oz.(400g) package dry penne pasta
- 2 cups(250g) shredded cheese(Manchego, parmesan, mozzarella, cheddar etc)
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 garlic cloves crushed
- ½ teaspoon oregano
- ½ teaspoon dry basil
- Preheat the oven to 400F/200C.
- Then, place an oiled medium sized skillet on high heat on the stove.
- Add the onion and sauté until transparent. Add the sliced Spanish chorizo to the skillet.
- Sauté for 2-3 minutes.
- Next, add the tomato sauce, crushed garlic, oregano, basil, salt and pepper to taste and let simmer for a minute.
- Meanwhile, cook the pasta according to the package.
- When the pasta is cooked, drain the water and add it to the tomato and chorizo mixture.
- Place the pasta with the sauce in a baking dish and add the shredded cheese on top.
- Finally, bake for 20-30 minutes until the cheese is melted and the edges are bubbly and golden.