Delicious baked cheesy German Spaetzle pasta with caramelized onion, a true comfort food for any age. Add your favorite cheeses and bake away!
Käsespätzle- comforting baked cheesy german spaetzle with caramelized onions
I do not cook a lot with egg pasta, so I had no idea what to do with it.
I know Germans combine Spaetzle pasta with caramelized onions and cheese, so I thought that I could try to make a version of baked mac and cheese, but with Spaetzle and fried onion.
The result? An amazing dish that disappeared in one day.
If you live in the US, you might think that mac&cheese is very American. For your surprise, this dish is found in most European countries.
Italians, Germans, Austrians or Eastern Europeans, all have a version of this comforting dish. You should be really naive to believe that Europeans did not bring this dish to America.
This recipe uses a shortcut, German spaetzle from the grocery store. I am not really into making pasta from scratch and I do not have the time. Once in a while, it feels good to take shortcuts as long as they are not harmless.
I still like to eat and feed my family foods that are not highly processed.
Now, the original recipe is called Käsespätzle and it is usually made with Emmental cheese. Of course, for an authentic taste, this cheese is recommended, but I am also in favor of making food with ingredients you have in the house.
These are not times for being picky and not making the recipe, just because you do not have the right cheese.
What kind of ingredients go into this German Cheese Spaetzle (Käsespätzle)
- Spaetzle pasta– a German noodle made with egg that is very popular in the German cuisine
- Onions– the more, the better
- Cheese– read next for more information
what kind of cheese can i use if i don’t have emmental cheese:
- Mozzarella, Monterrey, Cheddar are accepted only if you do not have any of the other options
How To Make this Baked Cheesy German Spaetzle Pasta with Caramelized Onion:
First of all, preheat oven to 400F.
In a medium pot, cook Spaetzle pasta according to the package.
Heat up the butter in a pan and add the chopped onion.
Add salt and pepper to taste and cook until onion gets lightly caramelized. Mix frequently. When ready, remove from heat and set aside.
In a baking dish, place noodles, cooked onions, and part of the cheese.
Mix to combine and add another layer of cheese on top. Bake at 400F for 25-30 minutes until cheese is melty and bubbly.
The dish is very easy to make and can be served as a side dish or by itself. It is great comfort food. The caramelized onion is a divine addition to the dish.
For us, the best part was the crusty layer of cheese on top. I served it with some pork cutlets in a tomato sauce and roasted broccoli with salt, pepper, and garlic. Also, a good schnitzel is a perfect option for this awesome and simple dish.
We officially declared that baked German Spaetzle with cheese and caramelized onions is our new favorite comfort food!
I am already in the mood to make another batch of this awesomeness! Perfect meal!
These are delicious recipes to try on days when you need comfort food. Pair them with a good salad and a glass of wine.
- 9 oz German Spaetzle pasta
- 1 large onion cut Julienne
- 1 1/2 cups Emmental cheese (OR Jarlsberg OR Gruyere)
- 4 tablespoons butter
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 400F.
- In a medium pot, cook Spaetzle pasta according to the package.
- Meanwhile, slice the onion thin, like Julienne style.
- Heat up the butter in a medium and add the chopped onion.
- Add salt and pepper to taste and cook until onion gets lightly caramelized. Mix frequently.
- When ready, remove from heat and set aside.
- In a 9x9 baking dish, place noodles, cooked onions, and 3/4 of the cheese.
- Mix to combine and sprinkle the rest of cheese on top. Bake at 400F for 25-30 minutes until cheese is melty and bubbly.
- You can replace the Emmental cheese with Gruyere, or Jarlsberg. If you do not have any of them use a mixture of Mozzarella, Monterey and Cheddar cheese.(1/2 cup each)
- You can double the batch and bake it in a 9x13 inch baking pan.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 185Total Fat: 12gSaturated Fat: 7gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 53mgSodium: 247mgCarbohydrates: 11gFiber: 1gSugar: 1gProtein: 7g