Pearl Couscous With Almonds And Raisins– A perfect choice for vegetarians and not only. This is a side dish that also can be served with meats or fish.
I love pearl couscous or Israeli couscous as you will find it called sometimes. It has a great flavor and makes a beautiful presence on the plate. Larger than the traditional couscous, pearl couscous is round and cooks up in minutes. It is versatile and can be served as a side dish, as a bed for grilled meat or fish, or as a beautiful salad with fresh vegetables. The possibilities are endless and that is why I love it.
This recipe has some beautiful ingredients that bring lots of flavor to the dish. It is also so easy to make. I used sliced toasted almonds but pine nuts are great too. A cinnamon stick, a bay leaf, a few raisins, and parsley are all you need to make this dish divine.
Enjoy and let me know what you think!
- 3 Tbsp butter divided
- ½ cup sliced almonds or pine nuts
- ½ cup onion finely chopped
- 1½ cups pearl couscous
- ½ large cinnamon stick
- 1 fresh or dried bay leaf
- 1¾ cups water
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ cup parsley minced
- zest of ½ lemon
- ¼ cup raisins
- black pepper to taste
- Melt 1 tablespoon of butter in a large saucepan over medium-low heat.
- Add almonds or pine nuts and stir until golden brown. Then transfer to a small bowl.
- Melt the remaining 2 tablespoons of butter in the same pan over medium heat.
- Add onion and sauté until golden.
- Then add the couscous, the cinnamon stick, bay leaf and stir often until couscous is lightly brown.
- Pour the water and add the salt and bring to a boil.
- Reduce to low heat, cover and simmer until the liquid is absorbed and the couscous is tender.
- Remove from heat and stir in the parsley, almonds(pine nuts), lemon zest and the raisins.
- Season with black pepper to your taste and serve.