I love easy summer recipes that do not require a lot of time in the kitchen. This soup is what I wanted for a while now. The weather is crazy hot and humid these days in Minneapolis, so there is not much desire to be right next to a hot stove or oven. The tomato and zucchini soup is a delicious vegetable soup that can be served cold from the fridge or just warmed up a little bit. Very refreshing and cooling, this soup would be a great lunch or a light dinner.
Saturday we visited the Farmers Market and got a bunch of zucchini, peppers and other fresh vegetables. The growing season in Minnesota is very short and starts pretty late in the summer, so there are still not a lot of vegetables available at the market.
Zucchini, new potatoes, kohlrabi, lettuce and fresh herbs are basically the main vegetables we have in season so far. I am looking forward for August, to get eggplants, tomatoes and peppers and hopefully start canning few things for the winter. I could buy anything from the store but I love to take advantage of the Farmers Market in the summer and stock up on few fruits and vegetables I can preserve for the winter. Nothing tastes better in the winter than a soup made with veggies touched by the summer sun.
So, let’s make the soup and enjoy it! I already had a bowl as soon as I was done making it!
If you liked this soup, you might enjoy this Easy Leek and Rice Soup
Or this super easy Tomato Soup
Now, it is your turn! What soups do you enjoy? What is your favorite one in the summer? Leave a comment under the recipe! See you next time!
Or maybe you want to join The Bossy Kitchen community group where you can share your creations made from this blog or from other sources. Everyone is welcome to join!
- 1 medium white onion chopped
- 1 medium carrot chopped
- 1 bell pepper cubed
- 2 Tablespoons vegetable oil(olive oil or sun flower oil was my choice)
- 3-4 medium tomatoes cubed(or 14oz can of diced tomatoes in tomato sauce undrained)
- 8 cups water or vegetable broth
- 2 medium zucchini cubed
- a handful of vermicelli pasta(or other favorite pasta for soups)
- salt to taste
- 3-4 Tablespoons chopped parsley
- 1 lemon juice
- In a large Dutch oven, heat olive oil on medium high heat. Add onions, carrots and bell pepper and cook for about 2 to 3 minutes until vegetables become translucent.
- Add water or vegetable broth and bring to a boil. Add cubed zucchini and tomatoes and simmer the soup for about 10 minutes or until the zucchini is tender.
- Taste for salt.
- Add the pasta and simmer for another 5-6 minutes until pasta is cooked.
- Remove from the stove, add chopped parsley and lemon juice.
- Serve warm or cold.