Learn how to make these Zucchini Feta Cheese Patties that are easy to make and delicious. These patties are made with Feta cheese and dill, which are a match made in heaven.
PIN THIS FOR LATER:
Best zucchini cheese fritters
Zucchini is such a summer vegetable and these zucchini cheese patties recipe is so easy to make and delicious, that there is no excuse to not try it.
When I have too many zucchini in the fridge (because I am a vegetable hoarder when I go to the Farmers Market), I like to use them in multiple recipes.
There are so many things you can do with zucchini from soups to desserts. For example, I make this Zucchini and Tomato Soup that I like a lot.
I also make this Zucchini Tomato And Mozarella Baked Dish that might not sound interesting to some, but it is a glorious dish to make during the summer.
I remember my grandmother and also my mom making these crispy zucchini cheese patties in the summer or just fried zucchini, when they would slice the zucchini, toss them in flour mixed with salt and pepper and fry them in oil.
Separately, they would make a little sauce with few crushed garlic cloves, hot water, oil, salt and pepper and toss the fried zucchini in that sauce!
Oh my! The zucchini made this way was absolutely DELICIOUS!
This recipe, in particular, is very simple and easy to put together. The zucchini cheese patties, also known as zucchini cheese fritters or simply zucchini fritters are shredded zucchini mixed with eggs, flour, cheese, sometimes spices or herbs.
What kind of ingredients go into this Zucchini patties recipe?
- Zucchini– choose medium zucchini, shred and drain them very well
- Feta cheese– choose a good quality one that is pleasantly salty. I personally like goat or sheep Feta.
- All purpose flour– we add it because flour absorbs the extra moisture from the zucchini.However, if you notice that your mixture is too wet, you can definitely add a little bit more flour.
- Eggs– keep the ingredients in the patties together
- Dill– I love dill and I totally encourage you to use it in this recipe. Dill and Feta go really well together.
How to make the zucchini feta cheese patties
Step 1. We start by getting the zucchini ready. This vegetable contains a lot of water.
First you have to peel and shred them. I used a food processor, because I like to make my life easier as much as I can.
Step 2. The next step is to place the shredded zucchini in a colander with salt. The salt helps removing the excess water from the zucchini.
Be careful, as if you don’t squeeze them well of that water, the patties will not stay together, the mixture will have a loose texture and frying watery zucchini will result in a disaster in the kitchen. The water and hot oil don’t go well together.
Step 3. After you squeeze the juice out really well, you can go ahead and mix the zucchini with the rest of the ingredients.
Make patties with a tablespoon and fry them in hot oil for a few minutes on each side.
Drain them on paper towels and serve them. they are good either warm or cold.
what can you serve with them:
I like to eat these zucchini fritters in between two pieces of bread and sliced tomatoes.
That is the perfect summer sandwich for me and a perfect lunch or light dinner. Here is a delicious and super easy recipe to make bread at home, if you want to get fancy: No Knead Bread.
However, the patties are served hot with yogurt, sour cream, as appetizers, or as a side dish with salads. I like them cold as well.
Can you freeze zucchini patties?
Absolutely. My advice is to freeze them individually first on a tray, then place them in a freezer bag for later use. They last about 3 months in the freezer and about 3-4 days in the fridge.
When ready to eat them, place them in a heated oven and enjoy them.
Enjoy and let me know what you think!
- 3 zucchini peeled and grated
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup(6oz) grated Feta cheese
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh dill
- Light vegetable oil for frying(I used sunflower oil)
- Clean and shred the zucchini. (Use a food processor if you need to)
- In a colander, toss the zucchini with 1 teaspoon salt. Let stand for 30 minutes.
- Drain and squeeze the zucchini to remove the excess water and pat dry on paper towels. Place the zucchini in a bowl.
- Add grated Feta cheese, flour, eggs, dill, pepper and mix well.
- Cover the bottom of a skillet with oil and place it on medium heat. Heat the oil until very hot.
- Drop about 1 1/2 tablespoons of the batter into the skillet for each patty, spacing them about 1 inch apart. Pat the patties lightly with a spatula to flatten. Fry until golden on both sides.
- Remove and let drain on paper towels.
- The patties are served hot with yogurt, sour cream, as appetizers, or as a side dish with salads.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 112Total Fat: 5gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 66mgSodium: 423mgCarbohydrates: 11gFiber: 1gSugar: 2gProtein: 5g