Baked zucchini tomato and mozzarella casserole is a simple, delicious dish that you can make all year round.
It tastes the best when zucchini is in season, but you can make it anytime you have access to this beautiful vegetable.
Healthy and simple to make, this recipe is a wonderful option for vegetarians and not only.
You got zucchini from the Farmer Market and don’t know what to do with it? This recipe is for you. I love zucchini, and this is such a summer item that it needs to be cooked while still in season.
What ingredients do you need for this recipe:
- Zucchini – they have to be washed and sliced. Do not peel them. The skin gives them structure and texture, and the fiber is good for you.
- Tomatoes– sliced
- Garlic cloves– crush them or chop them finely
- Garlic powder– optional for extra flavor
- Fresh mozzarella– slices of it
- Shredded cheddar cheese
- Salt and pepper to taste- you are the boss on that
- Fresh chopped parsley
How to make baked zucchini with tomatoes and mozzarella
The recipe is straightforward, and you can make it in no time. The recipe starts with preparing the tomatoes and zucchini for baking. Clean the vegetables with fresh water.
Slice the zucchini without peeling it. There is a lot of nutritional value in the skin, especially if the zucchini is organic and, therefore, good for you.
Place the slices of zucchini in a bowl and sprinkle them with salt, pepper, and a little bit of garlic powder.
Repeat the step with the sliced tomatoes.
Butter an 8×8-inch glass baking dish and arrange the slices of zucchini in the dish, alternating with slices of mozzarella cheese and tomato so that the slices overlap each other in a neat row pattern.
Bake in the oven for about 20 minutes.
Remove and add the crushed garlic and the shredded cheddar cheese. Bake for another 5 minutes.
Serve hot with fresh chopped parsley on top.
Bake and eat! Quite simply, if you ask me, and oh, so delicious!
Or maybe you want to join The Bossy Kitchen community group, where you can share your creations made from this blog or other sources. Everyone is welcome to join!
More recipes to love:
- 2 medium zucchini sliced
- 3-4 medium tomatoes
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 4 slices of fresh mozzarella
- 2 Tablespoons shredded cheddar cheese
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 Tablespoons butter
- 1 Tablespoon fresh chopped parsley
- Preheat oven to 375F.
- Wash the zucchini and the tomatoes.
- Slice the zucchini and place the round pieces in a bowl.
- Sprinkle salt, pepper and a little bit of garlic powder over them and mix gently to coat the vegetables. Set aside.
- Repeat the step with the sliced tomatoes.
- Butter an 8x8-inch glass baking dish and arrange the slices of zucchini in the dish, alternating with slices of mozzarella cheese and tomato, so that the slices overlap each other in a neat row pattern.
- Bake in the oven for about 20 minutes.
- Remove and add the crushed garlic and the shredded cheddar cheese. Bake for another 5 minutes.
- Serve hot with fresh chopped parsley on top.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 122Total Fat: 8gSaturated Fat: 5gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 25mgSodium: 198mgCarbohydrates: 6gFiber: 2gSugar: 2.9gProtein: 7.5g