If you love zucchini bread and zucchini cake, this recipe is for you. Zucchini Orange and Walnuts Cake is a delicious recipe that will soon make it to your recipe collection.
What gardener doesn’t have extra zucchini? Or the vegetable lover who likes going to the Farmers Market and buys more than one can eat? I am one of these people who always has some extra zucchini in the fridge thinking what I can do with it.
This time I decided to make some cake, because last week I made some zucchini fritters and the week before some zucchini and tomato soup and before that I made a delicious baked zucchini tomato and mozzarella casserole.
As you can see, I have few recipes in my repertoire and summer is short in Minnesota. You have to take advantage of fresh vegetables and Farmers Market every week, like I do:
I just cannot resist when I see beautiful vegetables. And it is not only that.
Did you notice that there is a time during the summer when gardens are flooded with zucchini? Your neighbors start dropping them off on your doorstep. Co-workers dump them on break room tables with friendly signs: “Help yourself” or “free” or “please take.” What they are really trying to say is: “I can’t take these anymore.”
Zucchini is such a versatile vegetable and you can make so many things out of it. However, I think that out of everything, zucchini cake is the best.
There are many recipes out there, but I think this recipe is moist and delicious with the delicate flavors of zucchini and orange juice, and the walnuts that add texture and crunch to it. This is not your grandma’s zucchini cake, as delicious as it may be, the one with cream cheese frosting or sugary glaze, if you know what I am talking about.
This is a modern, elegant cake that is baked and then glazed with this out of the world delicate orange syrup. With the addition of the syrup, you can skip the icing. There is no need for it. The cake is sweet enough as it is and extremely flavorful.
Amazingly light and fluffy, this zucchini cake is so moist and delicious! It’s what every cake should aspire to be like. I actually kind of feel bad for other cakes when I eat this zucchini orange and walnuts cake. Can you blame them for wanting to be this?
This beauty is baked in a 13×9 inch pan, and makes a great healthy snack for your children when they come home from school. It also makes a great snack for you, the adults out there, who need a little ‘pick me up’ at work.
Tip for the recipe: Squeeze the zucchini really well. The cake is already moist and if you do not squeeze the shredded zucchini very well, too much excess moisture makes the cake soggy. Not appetizing, if you ask me!
Also, this cake, without the glaze, will freeze beautifully. Wrap it in plastic wrap, then in foil and place in a freezer safe bag. You can also freeze individual slices. DELICIOUS!
See you next time!
- 1 large zucchini (about 1 lb)
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- ¼ grated nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 4 Tablespoons unsalted butter, melted and cooled
- ⅔ cup vegetable oil(or sunflower oil)
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- zest from 1 orange
- ¾ cup buttermilk
- Orange Syrup:
- ½ cup orange juice
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- Preheat oven to 350F/180C.
- Butter a 13x9 inch baking pan or line with parchment paper.
- Use a food processor to shred zucchini or shred them with a grater.
- Transfer zucchini to a clean kitchen towel and squeeze out as much moisture as possible.
- in a medium bowl, mix together flour, nutmeg, salt, baking soda, cinnamon. Set aside.
- In a larger bowl whisk eggs, sugar, butter, oil, vanilla and orange zest.
- Stir in zucchini and buttermilk.
- Add the dry ingredients to the mixture.
- Spread batter evenly in prepared pan.
- Bake the cake 40 to 45 minutes or until golden brown and a toothpick comes out clean.
- Transfer pan to a metal rack to cool.
- Brush the cake with the following syrup:
- In a small saucepan bring the orange juice and sugar to a boil over medium heat, stirring to dissolve sugar. Remove from heat. Let cool and brush the surface of the cake.