If you were looking for a meatless soup recipe, look no further.This Easy Leek and Rice Soup is a perfectly light, refreshing and wonderful recipe that can be made in any season and consumed warm or cold.
Has the cold weather set in where you live? Here in Minnesota it has been in the single digits for days. Or maybe for weeks. To be honest, I’ve stopped keeping track. All I know is that it’s COLD out there and I am choosing to leave my house as little as possible.
These days, going out mainly consists of trips to the grocery store. Because even when it’s cold, we still have to eat. But other than that?
It’s been a while since I went outside and I am not planning on doing that soon, unless the temperature decides to climb a little bit more towards 30F. Meanwhile, I am cooking and baking, working on the blog and staying warm. With soups….Seriously, is there any better food to warm up with, than a delicious bowl of soup? I think not.
If you were looking for a meatless soup recipe, look no further. Making soup is a great way to get rid of some of the vegetables in your refrigerator or cabinets and also helps saving a few dollars.
When you invest the time to make a pot of soup, it rewards you with days of effortless, nutritious, substantial meals, and it saves you from eating lunch out more than you’d like to.
This easy leeks and rice (among other vegetables) soup is a perfectly light, refreshing and wonderful soup that can be consumed warm or cold. Fresh vegetables, a little bit of rice and lemon juice added to the end, makes this soup a delicious, also low calorie meal suitable for lunch or dinner.
If you replace the chicken stock with vegetable stock or water, then this soup is great for vegetarians and vegans.
Are you looking for more soup ideas? Click here to see my little collection of soups.
Here are my Amazon suggestions for this recipe:
If you make this recipe, please let me know. Take a picture and tag it with #thebossykitchenggk on Instagram so we can all see it. I always love to see what you come up with!
And don’t forget to follow me on Facebook, Pinterest and Twitter. This is the easiest way to stay connected with my work. You can also join The Bossy Kitchen community group where everyone can share their own creations made from this blog or their favorite recipes!
- 3 tablespoon olive oil(vegetable oil is fine too)
- 2-3 leeks chopped (use both white and green parts)
- 1 green celery chopped
- 1 onion chopped
- 2 carrots chopped
- 1 parsley root chopped
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1 red or green bell pepper chopped
- 1 medium potato chopped
- 2 tablespoons rice
- 4 cups chicken stock or vegetable stock
- 1 handful chopped parsley
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Lemon juice for serving
- In a large heavy saucepan heat up oil over medium high heat.
- Add chopped leeks, celery, carrots, parsley root, bell pepper, onion and garlic stirring occasionally until vegetables are soft, for about 8 minutes.
- Add the chicken stock or water.
- Reduce heat to medium, add rice and the chopped potato and let it simmer for another 10-15 min or until rice and potato are cooked.
- Add salt and taste.
- Chop the parsley and add it to the soup.
- Serve warm with few drops of lemon juice. It should be slightly sour from the lemon juice.