This savory quick and easy cheese pie recipe is an awesome inspiration from the Georgian Khachapuri, a very traditional pie made with sulguni cheese. Unfortunately, I had a hard time finding this cheese in United States, but thankfully, substitutions abound, anywhere from feta to mozzarella to goat cheese will do the job. I make it quite often for breakfast, especially over the weekends, but I love it as an appetizer when we entertain. It is super easy to make and delicious. You do not have to bake it either because it is made in a skillet.
I just made it over the weekend and served it with this awesome tomatoes, green onions, cucumbers, peppers and avocado salad. It was delicious!
This is good stuff, believe me! It reheats well (not sure if you will ever have that opportunity as it will disappear fast) and it is great any time of the day.
Great for vegetarians too!
- 1 egg
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup whole milk
- 5 oz salted mozzarella shredded
- 5 oz Feta cheese crumbled
- 2 Tbsp Tbsp butter for frying
- In a medium bowl beat the egg with the whisk.
- Add the milk and beat again.
- Add the flour and mix.
- Incorporate the shredded cheese.
- Heat the skillet on medium heat, place the mixture in the middle, cover with the lid and cook on each side for 3-4 minutes.
- Serve warm or cold. The leftovers reheated are very good too.