This recipe of Old Fashioned Lemon Bread With Lemon Syrup carries a double dose of lemon. Finely grated lemon zest in the batter and lemon syrup poured over the bread after baking, make this bread one of the best lemon bread recipes I ever tried.
Old Fashioned Lemon Bread with Lemon Syrup
During the cold season, baking is one of the activities I do on a regular basis. With the extreme temperatures we have, our bodies require fuel and warmth.
Winter salads are good but a big cup of coffee or a tea with a piece of some delicious lemon bread is all we need sometimes when the weather is bad or the spirits are low.
I found this recipe to be an awesome one for the holidays also because it makes a very pretty gift to family and friends. Wrapped in a cute box or bag, the bread looks luxurious and very festive.
I made candied lemon and orange slices and decorate the breads with them. This recipe works perfect with orange flavor also.
Replace lemon zest with orange zest and make the syrup using orange juice instead of lemon.
Voila! Now you have one sweet bread in 2 flavors! What can be better than this?
HOW TO MAKE LEMON OR ORANGE CANDIED SLICES:
Note to Martha’s recipe: After I finished simmering the slices of orange and lemon in the syrup, I allowed them to dry on a rack until the next day when I tossed them in granulated sugar for a more festive look.
The slices are even good to flavor a cup of tea , if you have leftovers. I had some, so that was a bonus!
One of my friends told me that it is the best lemon bread she ever had in her life, and she is 85 years old, so that IS something, right?
The bread is sweet, moist and delicious but the lemon syrup brings the flavors to a new level of awesomeness.
I wish to tell you more about this bread, but I think you need to make it and convince yourself. Lemon bread is one of these things that everyone loves.
Oh, I forgot to tell you that I used this awesome tool for squeezing lemons for this recipe. I like the tool because you can use it for lemons, limes or even oranges, which are different size.
This recipe is easy to make and a keeper for many occasions.
As I said before, it makes a great gift especially around the holidays, but even in the summer, served with some berries and whipped cream, for example, makes a great dessert.
Happy baking, my friends and see you soon!
If you liked this recipe, you might also enjoy this collection of sweet breads.
And finally, come join me on The Bossy Kitchen community group where you can share your creations made from this blog or from other sources. Everyone is welcome!
Other Dessert Ideas That Use Lemons:
- 1/2 cup(1 stick/4 oz/113g) unsalted butter room temperature
- 1 cup(4oz/125g) powder sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 1/4 cups(5.5oz/155g) all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup(4fl oz/125ml) whole milk
- 1 tablespoon finely grated lemon zest(you can replace it with orange zest)
- For the lemon syrup:(or the orange syrup):
- 1/4 cup(50 g) granulated sugar
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice(or orange juice)
- Preheat the oven to 350F/180C.
- Grease and flour a loaf pan.
- In a large bowl combine the butter and sugar and beat until blended.
- Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. In a medium bowl stir and toss together the flour, baking powder and salt.
- Add to the butter mixture, along with the milk and lemon(or orange zest) and beat until blended and smooth.
- Optionally, stir in the pecans, or the poppy seeds.
- Spread evenly in the prepared pan.
- Bake until a thin skewer inserted in the center of the loaf comes out clean, about 40-50 minutes.
- While the bread bakes, make the lemon(or orange) syrup by combining the sugar and lemon/orange juice in a small pan. Bring to a boil and simmer until the sugar dissolves. Set aside.
- Remove the bread from the oven and, using a fork, gently poke the top in several places. Stir the syrup, then slowly drizzle it over the hot bread.
- Cool in the pan for 15 minutes, then turn out onto a wire rack to cool completely.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
USA Pan 1140LF Bakeware Aluminized Steel Loaf Pan 8.5 x 4.5 x 3-Inch Small, Silver
KitchenAid KHM512ER 5-Speed Ultra Power Hand Mixer, Empire Red
Stainless Steel Mixing Bowl Set with Lids
Measuring Cups And Spoons Set
Top Rated Zulay Premium Quality Metal Lemon Lime Squeezer - Manual Citrus Press Juicer
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 111Total Fat: 2gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 1gCholesterol: 50mgSodium: 225mgCarbohydrates: 18gFiber: 1gSugar: 1gProtein: 4g